• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New neighbors claim my land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

property disput

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I bought a house 1 1/2 years ago and my neighbors had their house foreclosed and the bank has since sold it to someone else. The new neighbors claim that their property line is halfway thru my house. They want me to give up land that I was informed was mine at the time of purchase by the homeowner. My original homeowner bought the land over 50 years ago from the original owner who had both properties and the neighbor has had it surveyed (using my land description). The two descriptions of the properties were drafted years ago without the services of a surveyor being used and I was informed that certain trees were the marker (which is between the two outbuildings) and that a huge planter(which is too heavy to move) is the other marker and the previous owners never had a problem with this. Is there any course I can take that gives me legal rights to the land that my previous owner understood as their land and sold to me as being mine and not the neighbors without having to pay high legal costs as at the moment I really can't afford it?What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I bought a house 1 1/2 years ago and my neighbors had their house foreclosed and the bank has since sold it to someone else. The new neighbors claim that their property line is halfway thru my house. They want me to give up land that I was informed was mine at the time of purchase by the homeowner. My original homeowner bought the land over 50 years ago from the original owner who had both properties and the neighbor has had it surveyed (using my land description). The two descriptions of the properties were drafted years ago without the services of a surveyor being used and I was informed that certain trees were the marker (which is between the two outbuildings) and that a huge planter(which is too heavy to move) is the other marker and the previous owners never had a problem with this. Is there any course I can take that gives me legal rights to the land that my previous owner understood as their land and sold to me as being mine and not the neighbors without having to pay high legal costs as at the moment I really can't afford it?What is the name of your state?
The first thing you need to do is have a title report run on your place by a local title company.

The second thing you need is a survey.

The third thing you need is a real estate lawyer.

seniorjudge

Q: We have done a title report and had the land surveyed. Is there anything else that can be done without a real estate lawyer?

A: Show the neighbors the title report and the survey. Explain to them in writing why you think you are right.

nextwife

We have done a title report and had the land surveyed. Is there anything else that can be done without a real estate lawyer?
And did the survey and title report show they are mistaken? Was your information contrary to what their survey indicated, or did it confirm it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">