• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New prospective landlord has asked illegal questions. What now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

I agree. But in 35 years of renting I was not once asked those questions. Even my LL from hell in Marblehead didn't ask those questions.
I'd bet you never tried to move 4 unrelated adults in when only one of them had an income.

Last edited:

TigerD

I would ask what the relationship is. Are they cousins coming to college together? Are they friends? Did the four of them just hookup on craigslist to save money renting a place? A relationship that commits them to each other is a positive - not a negative.

Mass_Shyster

Many towns have an ordinance (aimed at college students) prohibiting four unrelated adults from occupying one unit. They claim the landlord needs a rooming house license.

reenzz

The landlord can easily find out their ages when they fill out an application and show their ID's. As a landlord, there is no way in hell that I would rent to 4 unrelated adults with only one income. I would require all parties to the lease to have stable, verifiable income that meets my income requirements. I've been burnt too many times buy tenants with the only income bailing out and leaving me with the roommates that have no income.

Mass_Shyster

I believe the difference between rooming house/lodger and apartment/tenant was already decided.

City of Worcester v. College Hill Properties, LLC, et al:
http://masslegalresources.com/city-of-worcester-v-college-hill-properties-llc-et-al-lawyers-weekly-no-10-083-13
That addressed the state law. Cities and towns are adopting ordinances limiting the number of unrelated adults. See https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massachusetts-law-about-landlord-and-tenant
Roommates

It seems Medford proposed prohibiting 4 or more. I don't know if it passed.

Last edited:

quincy

The landlord can easily find out their ages when they fill out an application and show their ID's. As a landlord, there is no way in hell that I would rent to 4 unrelated adults with only one income. I would require all parties to the lease to have stable, verifiable income that meets my income requirements. I've been burnt too many times buy tenants with the only income bailing out and leaving me with the roommates that have no income.
Almost all of our rentals are to university students. All must sign a lease and have parent-cosigners because most of the students have part time jobs at most.

I never would rent to an adult without an income otherwise. Four unrelated adults with only one employed? Nope.

quincy

FarmerJ

If its two married couples then at any time only 2 adults of the four do not have a familial relationship with the other two so even if a city had a ordinance limiting non related people to four in a unit at any given time it doesn't change two of the four having no familial relationship. AS to your LL if you have a high enough income then consider increasing the deposit or paying last months rent in advance as well. If none of that works then perhaps its time to look for a property you can BUY so you don't have this problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">