• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ninja......girl...you need to pay more attention

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isis1

quoted from NingaGirl's last locked post.

You are wrong, I have to go to school full time in order to get that money. They are not giving it to me to stay home and sit on my a**. I have to work for it! Which I have finals this week and will be finishing this term with a 4.0. So once again for you illiterate people, I AM supporting my children!
you don't get it. you do not work for that money. you go to school. you get a check from the government to get that check. you abide by THEIR rules. it comes from a government account. same as welfare. same as foodstamps. same as wic. same as state medical. you don't pay taxes on it. you don't WORK for it. everyone else's tax money pays for it. everyone else's employment pays for it.

CJane

quoted from NingaGirl's last locked post.

you don't get it. you do not work for that money. you go to school. you get a check from the government to get that check. you abide by THEIR rules. it comes from a government account. same as welfare. same as foodstamps. same as wic. same as state medical. you don't pay taxes on it. you don't WORK for it. everyone else's tax money pays for it. everyone else's employment pays for it.
Actually, if she's getting $7500/year AFTER tuition is paid, she's likely getting LOANS, and not GRANTS. (Since Pell Grants max at $5350/year)

And, EVEN IF she was working full time, it's VERY LIKELY that she'd STILL get the Pell Grants. I make around $35/year working full time. And I get the full amount of Pell Grants and SEOG grants (another $800/year). I also get LOANS.

And EVEN IF I wasn't working full-time, if I was using THAT money to support my kids? They'd still be being supported BY ME because I would be EARNING that money by going to school full time OR by PAYING IT BACK when I was done with school.

Watch your falls from that high horse Isabella.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, if she's getting $7500/year AFTER tuition is paid, she's likely getting LOANS, and not GRANTS. (Since Pell Grants max at $5350/year)

And, EVEN IF she was working full time, it's VERY LIKELY that she'd STILL get the Pell Grants. I make around $35/year working full time. And I get the full amount of Pell Grants and SEOG grants (another $800/year). I also get LOANS.

And EVEN IF I wasn't working full-time, if I was using THAT money to support my kids? They'd still be being supported BY ME because I would be EARNING that money by going to school full time OR by PAYING IT BACK when I was done with school.

I knew the economy was bad...but not THAT bad!

CJane

Zig,

Cjane is in the midwest. Her earnings are comparable to someone earning 80k in San Francisco. (probably still not enough to buy a house ~ at least not in San Fran).
Actually.... I bought a house 2 years ago. Of course, out here, you can still buy a house for $60K.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zig,

Cjane is in the midwest. Her earnings are comparable to someone earning 80k in San Francisco. (probably still not enough to buy a house ~ at least not in San Fran).
Look again - Cjane missed a character in there ;)

ETA: Oh, you did look again hehe. I'm slow.

ErinGoBragh

I agree this this is money earned, not money that's just given like welfare. College students have to maintain good grades to keep the loans, and they do pay interest on them, and pay the loans back. Have taken them myself, I am definitely NOT a fan of the welfare comparison- I didn't go with my hand out and ask for someone to just pay me my living costs without ever paying it back.

I agree this this is money earned, not money that's just given like welfare. College students have to maintain good grades to keep the loans, and they do pay interest on them, and pay the loans back. Have taken them myself, I am definitely NOT a fan of the welfare comparison- I didn't go with my hand out and ask for someone to just pay me my living costs without ever paying it back.
I also would like to add that if she were a career college student, meaning going to school and doesn't ever graduate because of changing their major mulitiple times, then yes it is a handout Also, if you are lower income then you do have to prove you are supporting yourself indepdently in order to get that aid.

CJane

I also would like to add that if she were a career college student, meaning going to school and doesn't ever graduate because of changing their major mulitiple times, then yes it is a handout Also, if you are lower income then you do have to prove you are supporting yourself indepdently in order to get that aid.
Unless/until she hits her lifetime maximum of $46K (for a nondependent). After that, she's cut off from loans until she's paid them back. Then she can start over.

It's never a hand out.

Isis1

i am well aware that receiving financial aid takes effort. it has NOTHING to do with being on my high horse.

but you are STILL receiving someone else's tax dollars. one cannot make the claim THEY sufficiently support their children while receiving ANY type of state aid, either be it by welfare, foodstamps, medical, or financial aid.

being emotionally supportive is not the same as being financially supportive. if i am receiving financial aid, i cannot honestly say i am supporting my children.

would i be making do? yes, but i would still not be supporting my children in a financial sense.

CJane

i am well aware that receiving financial aid takes effort. it has NOTHING to do with being on my high horse.

but you are STILL receiving someone else's tax dollars. one cannot make the claim THEY sufficiently support their children while receiving ANY type of state aid, either be it by welfare, foodstamps, medical, or financial aid.

being emotionally supportive is not the same as being financially supportive. if i am receiving financial aid, i cannot honestly say i am supporting my children.

would i be making do? yes, but i would still not be supporting my children in a financial sense.
You really have no idea what you're talking about Isabella. None.

Pell Grants (which you're ASSUMING she's receiving) are, in fact, funded by tax dollars. LOANS are not. Subsidized loans have a tax $ component but are NOT funded by tax dollars. Scholarships are funded by tax dollars sometimes. Private grants / loans / etc are NOT funded by tax dollars.

But ALL are financial aid.

I "receive someone else's tax dollars" when I get EIC at the end of the year with my tax refund. Guess I don't support my kids either. :rolleyes:

ErinGoBragh

You really have no idea what you're talking about Isabella. None.

Pell Grants (which you're ASSUMING she's receiving) are, in fact, funded by tax dollars. LOANS are not. Subsidized loans have a tax $ component but are NOT funded by tax dollars. Scholarships are funded by tax dollars sometimes. Private grants / loans / etc are NOT funded by tax dollars.

But ALL are financial aid.

I "receive someone else's tax dollars" when I get EIC at the end of the year with my tax refund. Guess I don't support my kids either. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I don't get where Isabella's going from A to B on this one either. The grants could be considered assistance I suppose, but loans are absolutely NOT any form of welfare- and even grants are still rewards and government /state perks, but also, not welfare or anything like it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">