• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just received a notice from EDD that my extension is exhausted (I officially became eligible for unemployment benefits in January, 2011) but that I may be eligible for another one.

There were thousands of the unemployed at Christmas time who were afraid their benefits were expiring when President Obama's plan to extend unemployment benefits by 13 months went through. I'm wondering if this could affect me.

The situation isn't clear on the EDD website and telephone lines are constantly busy.

commentator

But you can find help and answers no other place. I realize that lines are constantly busy, but that means SOMEONE is getting in. Keep trying until that someone is you. If they said you may have another claim, then they mean you will either be signed up for the extension automatically, or it may be necessary for you to reapply, in whatever way is appropriate, for this extension. Of course you will keep filing for weeks as they pass as you have been.

Yes, another extension went into effect in January, nationwide. It applied to those who had not already exhausted the last extension. None of the people who had drawn the full 99 weeks of extensions got anything more, but the whole extension thing, the first round of extensions for people who had just begun to draw benefits, was kept in place, or in other words, they didn't add more weeks, but they extended the extensions.

Without your paperwork that would show your particular unemployment situation, no one on a message board is ever going to be able to answer your question about whether there is another extension for you to draw. It depends on many things, some of them particular to your state, some of them particular to your claim. Persist in trying to reach your state's telephone answer system.

If this takes you even several weeks of trying daily, and you need to file again, you need to ask that your new extension be back dated to the date you first begun trying to reach them to file it.

You can't get the answer or file your extension by reading their website. If you are automatically put on an extension, you will keep certifying and you will keep getting checks. If you need to file a new claim, you must do it using the system. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

But you can find help and answers no other place. I realize that lines are constantly busy, but that means SOMEONE is getting in. Keep trying until that someone is you. If they said you may have another claim, then they mean you will either be signed up for the extension automatically, or it may be necessary for you to reapply, in whatever way is appropriate, for this extension. Of course you will keep filing for weeks as they pass as you have been.

Yes, another extension went into effect in January, nationwide. It applied to those who had not already exhausted the last extension. None of the people who had drawn the full 99 weeks of extensions got anything more, but the whole extension thing, the first round of extensions for people who had just begun to draw benefits, was kept in place, or in other words, they didn't add more weeks, but they extended the extensions.

Without your paperwork that would show your particular unemployment situation, no one on a message board is ever going to be able to answer your question about whether there is another extension for you to draw. It depends on many things, some of them particular to your state, some of them particular to your claim. Persist in trying to reach your state's telephone answer system.

If this takes you even several weeks of trying daily, and you need to file again, you need to ask that your new extension be back dated to the date you first begun trying to reach them to file it.

You can't get the answer or file your extension by reading their website. If you are automatically put on an extension, you will keep certifying and you will keep getting checks. If you need to file a new claim, you must do it using the system. Good luck to you.

Just a note that I won't keeping filing for weeks as they pass as I have been. If I'm eligible for for another extension, I don't have to do anything. EDD will automatically file on my behalf. I'll be notified by mail and be sent the claim forms by mail.

Hot Topic

Received an update from the California EDD that said that legislation signed by President Obama November 6, 2009, provides up to a week of additional extended benefits for the second Federal extension. The additional benefits were automatically filed for me effective February 27, 2011. I filed a one-week claim form for x number of dollars using the form that EDD sent me.

The EDD will file the next extension for me if I qualify and I'll receive notification and additional claim forms.

Good luck to everyone receiving UI benefits. You may have a tough time getting through to the 800 number, but as busy as they are, the California EDD does a good job of keeping you updated via mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">