• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No evidence accusation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rshelbyk2

My employer wrongfully accused me of stealing money from the company. I have been having problems with my direct supervisor for about a year now. They never got my side of the story just started asking why i did it. They embarrassed me by walking my out of the store in front of everybody. I am currently on paid administrative leave and under so much stress to now find a new job.
What, if any, legal action can i take?

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My employer wrongfully accused me of stealing money from the company. I have been having problems with my direct supervisor for about a year now. They never got my side of the story just started asking why i did it. They embarrassed me by walking my out of the store in front of everybody. I am currently on paid administrative leave and under so much stress to now find a new job.
If you work in the U.S. for a private company, are not a member of union with a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) that limits the circumstances in which you can be fired or suspended, and that you don't have an employment contract with the employer for some set period of time (e.g. a year or whatever) that has those sorts of limitations then the employer may fire you or suspend you for most any reason. You certainly may be fired or suspended if the employer suspects you of stealing, even if the employer is wrong about the theft. So you'd have no action here for wrongful termination if you are fired, even if you didn't actually steal from the company.

As for walking you out the door of the store, that by itself gives you no cause of action against the employer. If the employer told other employees in the store that you were a thief and that accusation is not true then you may have a defamation claim to pursue against the employer. The problem is that defamation claims can be pretty time consuming and costly to pursue, and without significant actual damages (e.g. financial loss) from the defamation you run the risk that a jury will award you little or nothing even if they are convinced there was defamation.

zddoodah

My employer wrongfully accused me of stealing money from the company. I have been having problems with my direct supervisor for about a year now. They never got my side of the story
Can you please clarify the distinction between the following:

1. "My employer"
2. "my direct supervisor"
3. "They"

Who exactly is accusing you? Your supervisor? Someone else? What does this accusation have to do with the problems between you and your supervisor? Who are "they" who never got your side of the story? Is this something that's being investigated by human resources? How long is the "administrative leave" going to last? Or is that just a way of saying you were fired without using the word "fired"?

Your post does not indicate that you have any valid legal claim against your employer.

Are you a union member?

Are you an employee of a federal, state or local agency? Given your referenced to having been "walk[ed] . . . out of the store," I assume the answer to this one is no.

quincy

Your state name is important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">