• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no insurance ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mAmAnda

NC:

If I lost my auto insurance, what are the repercussions? Will I be penalized?
I'm not worried about causing an accident, but if I am involved in an accident (not at fault), what will the outcome be?

ecmst12

Yeah, driving without insurance is both illegal and stupid. Not to mention potentially way more expensive than having proper coverage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
http://bfy.tw/Ovd

[SUP]I thought Google might have been broken...nope.[/SUP]

StephenH

Here is what will happen

1) Your license will likely be suspended (unless you live in NH where insurance is not mandatory)

2) If the accident is your fault (in a fault state), you have to pay the full cost of damages you caused out of pocket. This can include damage to the others car, medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, legal fees, and court costs.

3) If it happens (in a no fault state), you will be out a car if totalled. Plus, you will pay full price for all your medical bills. You get no money for pain and suffering or lost wages.

4) You can be sued.

5) If the other party suing you gets a judgment, your credit score will suffer.

6) If the other party obtains a judgment against you, you will be forced to do one of the following:

* Pay it in Full
* Work out a Payment Plan
* You could be subject to wage garnishment, liens, or seizure of property depending on your state and the debtors actions
* Accept collection actions and collection calls
* Declare bankruptcy which ruins your credit even further

7) To get a license back after a suspension due to no insurance, often you have to do all the following:

* Wait out the minimum suspension period
* Get insurance or show proof of self insurance, according to your states guidelines
* Get an SR-22 Form
* Show that you have paid off the amount owed, or that a payment plan is accepted by the party

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">