• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No job because of too many speeding tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

A friend of mine has gotten the job of her dreams, was about to begin work. Now she finds that the job offer has been rescinded because they looked at her insurance record and found she has five speeding tickets on record. All within the city where she resides. They were all paid in a timely manner, one is supposed to "drop off" in October.

This employer says the limit to the number of tickets someone can have and work for them is three. Is there any way to get speeding tickets removed from your record, other than the passage of time? Is there usually any expungement process that she can go through with the traffic court and have them removed? She declined to go to traffic school and have one not show up, she simply sent in the money to pay them each time.

Last edited:

Antigone*

A friend of mine has gotten the job of her dreams, was about to begin work. Now she finds that the job offer has been rescinded because they looked at her insurance record and found she has five speeding tickets on record. All within the city where she resides. They were all paid in a timely manner, one is supposed to "drop off" in October.

This employer says the limit to the number of tickets someone can have and work for them is three. Is there any way to get speeding tickets removed from your record, other than the passage of time? Is there usually any expungement process that she can go through with the traffic court and have them removed? She declined to go to traffic school and have one not show up, she simply sent in the money to pay them each time.
That is way too sad Commentator. Good jobs are hard to come by, but once the tickets are on the record, they are on the record.

This might be the prospective employer's way of thinking that she is too much of a risk.

commentator

Yes, sigh, I understand quite well that the employer might have a very good reason to have that rule, as people who get that many tickets in two years are not really safe drivers, and might not be too good to put in your company's car. And that yes, they can do this to me, can they really?

There are a few sites on the web that promise expungement of your driving record, (for a very generous fee) but not in TN, it appears

sandyclaus

I think the problem here is that there are TOO MANY TICKETS within such a short amount of time. While she can pay off the tickets, it doesn't change the fact that your friend was speeding. At that point, it is a driving habit that is hard to break. Time may pass, but the bad driving habit remains, and places the company at a higher risk, especially if that dream job involves driving on company time.

IMHO, she SHOULD have gone to traffic school. Too many people see driving school as simply a way to prevent a ticket from hitting their driving records. However, it SHOULD be seen as an opportunity to learn how to avoid getting another one in the future. At least that way, she might have learned how her driving habits place her and those on the road with her at risk, and makes an effort to teach her how to drive more carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">