• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Legal identification for me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

My last name on my birth certificate is Magin. My s.s. card and ohio drivers license has and all my legal records and school records have the last name Green. (Green) has been used my entire life and I was unaware of the Magin last name untill I moved to Minnesota from ohio and needed the certified birth certificate to get a Minnesota liscens and once the D.M.V. saw conflicts with the last name and no legal amendments to make my name Green I was turned away.

I applied for a variance of Minnesota law to use the documents that I have from school, tax, medical, and baptism record with the Green last name. I was denied

This has been very difficult mentally and physically to continue with the process once I get told someone can't help me because I can't afford it and Minnesota legal aid will not help because they don't do anything with name changes. I have a felony in Ohio and am not trying to hide that since I largely want to use the same name I used in Ohio.

Sorry if I am confusing anyone but I am confused myself and the thought of being told I'm not taking the correct action to correct it again. Will not be good for me.
Here is a link to Minnesota's Department of Health on how to amend your Minnesota birth certificate:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/chs/osr/amend.html

Here's a question for you.
Here is a link to Minnesota's Department of Health on how to amend your Minnesota birth certificate:

Thank you again.

Another question can I have both parents names changed to the ones who raised me. Will that change my last name. Both parents that raised me have passed away. Since I lived and grew up in a different state. I have signed and notarized affidavit letters from people who knew me and my parents and they had no clue that I wasn't there child. Which should help.

My biggest problem is following threw doing this all by myself. Thanks again for the links.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

Thank you again.

Another question can I have both parents names changed to the ones who raised me. Will that change my last name. Both parents that raised me have passed away. Since I lived and grew up in a different state. I have signed and notarized affidavit letters from people who knew me and my parents and they had no clue that I wasn't there child. Which should help.

My biggest problem is following threw doing this all by myself. Thanks again for the links.
No, you cannot change their names. There is not court procedure that will allow you to change someone's name, especially posthumously.

Thank you again.

No, you cannot change their names. There is not court procedure that will allow you to change someone's name, especially posthumously.
Ok just wondering. There should be because the 2 parents names don't deserve to be listed as mother and father. Thanks

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
There are step-by-step instructions on the site that Quincy provided. If you follow those instructions carefully I'm sure you'll be able to figure this out.

quincy

Thank you again.

Ok just wondering. There should be because the 2 parents names don't deserve to be listed as mother and father. Thanks
You generally can change your name and the names of your parents on your birth certificate. What has been changed will be noted on the new certificate, and the original, source document (original birth certificate) is retained.

Good luck.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
You generally can change your name and the names of your parents on your birth certificate. What has been changed will be noted on the new certificate and the original, source document is retained.

Good luck.
I misunderstood what he was asking, so thanks for clarifying, quincy. I read it that he wanted to not change who the parents are on his BC, but change their names (ie, change Fred's name to Ricky, not change that Ricky actually raised him, not Fred.)

So, OP, disregard what I told you earlier about changing your BC. Listen to quincy, he understood what you meant.

Last edited:

quincy

I misunderstood what he was asking, so thanks for clarifying quincy. I read it that he wanted to not change who the parents are on his BC, but change their names (ie, change Fred's name to Ricky, not change that Ricky actually raised him, not Fred.)

So, OP, disregard what I told you earlier about changing your BC. Listen to quincy, he understood what you meant.
I can see how you read it. And, in reading it your way, you were right. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You generally can change your name and the names of your parents on your birth certificate. What has been changed will be noted on the new certificate, and the original, source document (original birth certificate) is retained.

Good luck.
The OP doesn't want to correct an erroneous listing of names, he wants to change actual persons. For example, if the OP wanted to change the father's name that's currently listed on his birth certificate from "Johnny Bill Smith" to Johnathan William Smithe", and can show that the two are actually the same person and that the name was simply incorrect on the original birth certificate, that would be fine. However, in this case, the OP wants to change the actual person(s), not just the name(s). There is not a process to allow that as the OP desires. The OP wants to do a posthumous adoption by simply changing the names for the parents on his birth certificate.

quincy

The OP doesn't want to correct an erroneous listing of names, he wants to change actual persons. For example, if the OP wanted to change the father's name that's currently listed on his birth certificate from "Johnny Bill Smith" to Johnathan William Smithe", and can show that the two are actually the same person and that the name was simply incorrect on the original birth certificate, that would be fine. However, in this case, the OP wants to change the actual person(s), not just the name(s). There is not a process to allow that as the OP desires. The OP wants to do a posthumous adoption by simply changing the names for the parents on his birth certificate.
Right. The names of the parents can be changed.

Last edited:

Zigner

Right. And that is allowable.
What is allowable? The OP cannot change the person(s) listed on their birth certificate. The OP will need to prove that this is just a correction of an erroneous name, not an erroneous person. The change won't be allowed if he cannot provide supporting documentation, which he does not have. The OP's birth certificate is correct as-is.

quincy

What is allowable? The OP cannot change the person(s) listed on their birth certificate. The OP will need to prove that this is just a correction of an erroneous name, not an erroneous person. The change won't be allowed if he cannot provide supporting documentation, which he does not have. The OP's birth certificate is correct as-is.
The birth certificate can be changed. The original is still retained.

Zigner

The birth certificate can be changed. The original is still retained.
The birth certificate can be changed if it is shown that there is an error. From your link:

If there is incorrect or missing information on your birth record or your child’s birth record, you can request an amendment. An amendment request must be made by mail to the Minnesota Office of Vital Records. The Minnesota Office of Vital Records does not have walk-in service.

Requesting a birth record amendment may not be easy because you must prove that the change you want is accurate and justified.

(emphasis added)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">