• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no money honey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garrula lingua

Senior Member
We don't have debtor's prison anymore.

But our Judges do punish for not obeying court orders.

The best way to proceed is to go to court before the date the fine is due and ask for an extension (a few more months to pay the fine).

Once you're in violation of the court's order, the disposition/sentence is up to the Judge.

Outonbail is right. I wouldn't take the chance of getting a nice, rather than crabby, Judge.

I would rather owe Big Louie, or one of my relatives, (or pawn my goodies) than take the chance of a crabby Judge remanding (jailing my butt) me. I, personally, would run in and pay the fine at the court clerk's area prior to my next appearance.
Good luck. Maybe the Judge will be a nice, sympathetic, fatherly type, or at least in a good mood.


Registered User
outonbail, the OP already HAS a job. It's probably minimum wage though, and you know that's not enough to live on, but maybe enough to live on the street, but pay the fine.

I thought my suggestion about reading books was a good one. It may help, it may not. It helped me out immensely. And it's the one thing in this world that's free! God bless public libraries!


Junior Member
Go to a check cashing place and get an advance on the money...then pay them back within the week or two that it is due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential