• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Paying Clients in Different States

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilsister

What is the name of your state? New Yawk

My company does business with several companies outside of NY. Our contract states:

"The parties agree that this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the state in which AGENCY is located, as applicable to contracts to be performed entirely within that state."

I currently have two clients whose payments are more than 60 days overdue. One is in Colorado and the other is in California.

How do I sue them for nonpayment or even find an attorney in those areas who do a demand for payment type of letter? I know we're not talking about big bucks here for an attorney to make but I am willing to pay for the job but no one gets back to me.

And why can't I sue them in NY? My local courts say I have to go after them in their states. I'm not hopping on board a plane for this. Both amounts are less than $5000 each.

What can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">