• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Reimbursable Dental Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmdavison

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY to AZ

CP is telling me that my Daughter needs braces in the near future. Orthodontist gave her a written quote. My decree I pay 67% of non reimbursable medical and dental. It says nothing about orthodontics(braces). I believe there is a difference. Am i correct??

I cant swing the cost at this point and time. CP is telling me i dont have a choice and i need to pay my portion. Is she right?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY to AZ

CP is telling me that my Daughter needs braces in the near future. Orthodontist gave her a written quote. My decree I pay 67% of non reimbursable medical and dental. It says nothing about orthodontics(braces). I believe there is a difference. Am i correct??

I cant swing the cost at this point and time. CP is telling me i dont have a choice and i need to pay my portion. Is she right?
Does it say anything about 'medically necessary' treatments or does it simply say 'medical and dental expenses"?

And are the braces purely cosmetic or are they medically necessary?

rmdavison

Does it say anything about 'medically necessary' treatments or does it simply say 'medical and dental expenses"?

And are the braces purely cosmetic or are they medically necessary?

It just says medical and dental expences.

NO, the braces would purely be cosmetic.

mistoffolees

Orthodontics would be covered under dental.
I don't know whether the court would see it that way.

For insurance purposes, lots of dental plans do not cover cosmetic orthodontics. The court might see it the same way - if it's not needed, then the parent shouldn't be forced to pay it.

I really don't know the answer for sure, but generally, discretionary items are the expense of the person who wants them unless the decree explicitly states otherwise. OP could make a pretty strong case that 'medical and dental' should cover only medically necessary.

CourtClerk

I don't know whether the court would see it that way.

For insurance purposes, lots of dental plans do not cover cosmetic orthodontics. The court might see it the same way - if it's not needed, then the parent shouldn't be forced to pay it.

I really don't know the answer for sure, but generally, discretionary items are the expense of the person who wants them unless the decree explicitly states otherwise. OP could make a pretty strong case that 'medical and dental' should cover only medically necessary.
What I was referring to is that the order need not speak to orthodontics specifically. Meaning, he won't see "medical/dental/orthodontics." Orthodontics fall under dental.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">