• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not being paid for hours worked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Montgomery Wards hired me part time so I don't work a lot of hours. Payday is Fridays, but when I picked up my paycheck I was cheated -- I worked 33 hrs. and they paid me for only 12 hours, and said they didn't have enough money, and would pay me next week. This is a big company, how can they get by with this? Whay are my rights? California part time worker (a minor at that).

B

Buffo B

The guy may only mean he doesn't have enough money in his store or department's budget to pay you this week (they restrict his payroll I'll bet) and he'll pay you next. But it is a crime not to pay workers and if they don't pay you next week report him to the California Department of Labor.

C

Ca Counsel

Since there are two of you here posting the same question, you have to wonder what's going on. California law is very strict on requiring pay for work done and the Labor baord is usually pretty aggressive in this area. Start by filing a complaint there, then get a bunch of similarly affected workers and see an attorney together. Find someone who haas experience suuing companies for underpayment of wages. Check the local newspaper archives for names of attorneys who have won similar cases or settlements.

A

Attorney_Replogle

I too am a CA attorney at law. Please consult this web site for a listing of Californiat attorneys under the listing of either labor lawyers or employment attorneys. Be advised that the CA labor board is the right place to go, but they are a typical governmental bueracracy and thus are slow. Montgomery Wards did come out of bankruptcy some time ago, but not being able to pay employees is not excusable. Hope this helps.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">