• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Sure if policy exsist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleRed

My Mother just recently passed away and for years she has talked about life insurance policies for my brothers and myself...

I do not have what you would call a close family..I always talked to my Mother until a few weeks before she had a major stroke and died..
I do not speak to my Father He did not even call me to let me know she was ill..I even had to have the police remove him from the hospital room so I could visit with her in her last few days:mad: :mad:

How would one find out if she has policies...or even a Will...???

Betty

You might check with your brothers to see if they know anything about any ins. policies. If she had a safe deposit box somewhere (ie bank) or possibly a lock box at home, they need to be checked to see if they contain any policies + you need to check anywhere else you think she might have put insurance policies - these places should also be checked for a will.

Betty

As a follow-up to my prior reply, if you don't know where your mother banks, you might check her purse & elsewhere to see if you can find a checkbook or something with a bank's name on it (ie quarterly statement)-- the name of her bank will be on the checks. I assume the bank will need a copy of the death certificate before letting you into your mom's safe deposit box (if she has one) - they may also require something from a court - I don't know. Maybe someone else knows or you could call & ask the bank what they need.

BlondiePB

Betty said:
As a follow-up to my prior reply, if you don't know where your mother banks, you might check her purse & elsewhere to see if you can find a checkbook or something with a bank's name on it (ie quarterly statement)-- the name of her bank will be on the checks. I assume the bank will need a copy of the death certificate before letting you into your mom's safe deposit box (if she has one) - they may also require something from a court - I don't know. Maybe someone else knows or you could call & ask the bank what they need.
Just how do you expect the poster to do ALL this when there is a surviving spouse, her father from whom she is estranged? Without legal authorization, the poster will NOT be able to acquire ANY information from the bank, and it is not likely that she would be able to acquire the necessary legal authorization.

justalayman

About the only thing I could suggest is to check with the probate court where your mom lived and hope, if her estate is probated, these items show up.

Are the bro's any closer to dad? Are you any closer to them than you were with dad?
Talk with close friends and any family you can. They might have some clues to help you.

Betty

Blondie, you are right - it would be hard for poster to do as I suggested since her father is still living. I don't know why but at the time I typed my reply my mind was thinking (or not thinking :eek:) ) that both parents were deceased. Sorry Blondie & poster. Betty (At least I & justalayman gave her a suggestion though --- poster, I would follow justalayman's advice)

Last edited:

BlondiePB

Originally Posted by justalayman
About the only thing I could suggest is to check with the probate court where your mom lived and hope, if her estate is probated, these items show up.
Since life insurance does not go through probate unless it is payable to one's estate it will not be recorded in the probate file. The exception of this is if the policy was in a safety deposit box where a bank officer records the contents for its inventory for the executor who then files this in the probate case.
Originally Posted by justalayman
Are the bro's any closer to dad? Are you any closer to them than you were with dad?
Talk with close friends and any family you can. They might have some clues to help you.
Good advice which is where Betty started in her first reply.
Originally Posted by Betty
You might check with your brothers to see if they know anything about any ins. policies.
Originally Posted by Betty
Blondie, you are right - it would be hard for poster to do as I suggested since her father is still living. I don't know why but at the time I typed my reply my mind was thinking (or not thinking ) ) that both parents were deceased. Sorry Blondie & poster. Betty (At least I & justalayman gave her a suggestion though --- poster, I would follow justalayman's advice)
Apology accepted. When it comes to estates of both the living and deceased, I'm a real "stickler" for one's legal authorization.

Betty

Blondie is right again in regard to justalayman's suggestion to check with probate court - ins. policies that are not payable to the estate . . . are payable to the beneficiary & are not considered as part of the estate. Way to go Blondie. Betty

justalayman

Instead of proving me wrong Blondie, you actually proved me right after you chastized me for being wrong. You listed a situation where an insurance policy may find it's way in the probate recordings

Did you folks realize the OP asked about a WILL as well in the original post.?
I would think if probate was opened and there was a will this would be the place to see it.

So Betty, don't break your hand patting Blondie on the back.

BlondiePB

justalayman said:
Instead of proving me wrong Blondie, you actually proved me right after you chastized me for being wrong. You listed a situation where an insurance policy may find it's way in the probate recordings

Did you folks realize the OP asked about a WILL as well in the original post.?
I would think if probate was opened and there was a will this would be the place to see it.

So Betty, don't break your hand patting Blondie on the back.

The OP's main concern here is insurance policies. Did you know the exceptions to the life insurance policies being recorded in a probate file? Have you ever gone to a person's safety deposit box with the proper court legal authorization and have the contents recorded for the court?

Betty, just compare how many times I have been corrected in my posts to justalayman (a lot) and how many irrelevant questions he asks posters.

Last edited:

justalayman

BlondiePB said:
The OP's main concern here is insurance policies. Did you know the exceptions to the life insurance policies being recorded in a probate file? Have you ever gone to a person's safety deposit box with the proper court legal authorization and have the contents recorded for the court?

Betty, just compare how many times I have been corrected in my posts to justalayman (a lot) and how many irrelevant questions he asks posters.
It makes no difference how many times anybody was wrong before.

YOU are wrong this time.

Why can't you just admit it. Is anybody really that arrogant?

As far as the exceptions, no I didn't. You opened your mouth to prove me right,,,thanks.
BTW there is another way for an insurance policy to be listed in an estates probate file.

BlondiePB

YOU are wrong this time.
Wrong about what? Did you find those couple of times on this forum since I have been here where I was corrected yet? Yes, I did amit I was wrong.

BTW, my a/c unit mystery will be resolved tomorrow. Have yourself a nice night. I must now tend to some of my fiduciary duties as it is the 1st of the month.

justalayman

BlondiePB said:
Wrong about what? Did you find those couple of times on this forum since I have been here where I was corrected yet? Yes, I did amit I was wrong.

BTW, my a/c unit mystery will be resolved tomorrow. Have yourself a nice night. I must now tend to some of my fiduciary duties as it is the 1st of the month.
You were wrong in your correction of me because;
The OP did inquire about a will.
There are situations where an insurance policy may be listed in probate filings

So can you set the arrogance aside? I doubt it. I see why you may have so many problems with the pres of your HOA.

Actually I was more interested in your electrical problems where there was somebody out to get you. Did you ever figure it out? Did the electricity police come?

justalayman

Betty said:
To Blondie & Justalayman - you "guys" make me smile! :eek:) Betty
Thanks,,,,I think,
Actually I respect Blondie's advice. It is most generally very good and precise.
Somewhere along the way she (I believe) and I butted heads. While I chose to let it go, I do get riled when she berates me unjustly.

And to Blondie: I didn't look for anyplace where you were corrected. It serves me no purpose. I am by no means obsessed with you and have no desire to make such an effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">