• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if this belongs here or not: money owed to Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StampGirl

Thank you everyone.

We have applied for foodstamps and housing help. Will know more in a week or so. Looks like we might qualify. Kids are on reduced lunches too right now.

With the only income coming in is child support and about $400 a month from a part time job I have in Big Bear doing accounting for a bed and breakfast, there isn't anything else right now.

I did email him regarding money issues and his response was to say if I "cant pay bills, then the girls should come live with him".

I did tell him we planned to pay by Oct 1st but right now that money should be going toward rent and utilities. But I am determined to pay him so he will leave me alone.

We have cut all things out. Our cable is free, our cell phones are necessary (and plan is cut waaaay back) for me to have contact to find a job.

I do have a test for a county position next week along with 2 interviews scheduled in the next week. Fingers crossed.

StampGirl

This is for daycare costs. I offered a summer schedule with me having the girls M-Thur and him having Fri-Sun every week. This was almost a 50% split and I offered to give him the extra few days after summer to make up for it. I also offered to do all driving both ways.

He flat out refused and him and his attorney called every single day and harassed me. We agreed on this only because at the time we could afford it but soon after the work for the business dried up and I didn't find a job.

Thank goodness our landlord is working with us on the rent or we would be out on the street.

Antigone*

Why would that matter?
You see CJane, this poster isn't in the habit of doing this the correct way. She likes short cuts and these short cust can possibly cause her many problems down the line.

You know, when your "husband" really isn't your husband, then legally there could be an issue.

But, hey, she ignored my question anyway so oh well.

Last edited:

StampGirl

You see CJane, this poster isn't in the habit of doing this the correct way. She likes short cuts and these short cust can possibly cause her many problems down the line.

You know, when your "husband" really isn't your husband, then legally there could be an issue.

But, hey, she ignored my question anyway so oh well.
No I dont condone shortcuts.

We are legally married.

For the record, I have never violated any court order and have gone out of my way to accomodate my ex in every way possible. Court was always and still is a last resort. Thus this agreement from this summer. I wanted to come to an agreement before we had to go to court. I did not have the crystal ball at the time I signed it knowing that income in my house would come to a screeching halt.

Not sure what is going to happen but now he is threatening to take custody away.

I'm in CA.

When your income was significantly reduced, you should have gone down to the Family Law Facilitator's Office and filed for a modification of child support. The court knows that the employment situation in California is very bad. Double digits for most counties.

Other than proving you an unfit mother, custody will not change, even with a scumbag lawyer. When you get to court to get relief from having to pay child care costs, he's going to look petty and vindictive for not working with you about freaking $50 a month while you are involuntarily unemployed.

If you go to court you might just get a temporary increase in child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">