• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where to start - eldercare issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have a dear friend in Georgia who is going through a terrible time with her elderly mother. The mother has recently had a stroke and is incapacitated.

Key points to consider:

1. There is no will in place

2. There is no POA or living will in place

3. There is no policy for long-term care in place

4. The mother is receiving a military pension due to her late husband's service

5. The mother is potentially qualified for VA and/or CHAMP-VA medical benefits.

Assets:

The mother has a home and no car, but no other significant assets besides SSI, the pension and Medicare. This home has had a reverse mortgage on it with substantial withdrawals. The daughter does not want to try to save the home but worries that it will be considered as an asset when figuring out financial eligibility for care, etc.

My friend (the daughter) is totally overwrought and doesn't know where to begin, so I am trying to help.

Where should she start?

Also, any referrals for attorneys in the Marietta Georgia area who can help navigate this process would be much appreciated.

TIA!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dave1952

You posted this in the Probate Section with a dead mother. You post it here as an incapacitated mother.
How unfortunate.

Good luck

Thank you

Yes, I had posted twice in 2 different forums -- my friend's mother passed away on Sunday. She was a dear lady, and while I am sad, I am relieved that her suffering is over.

Sorry for any confusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">