• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS: Is this offensive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ros

I sent an email invitation, where I was asked to reword this phrase- 'Day in Latino student life', is this offensive? Did I hurt their feelings? How can I better communicate this?

extract from email: "Speaker Panel- the speaking segment. ..... Association of Latino professionals are invited to share insights into the following topics:
  • Your Career..... building resume, etc.
  • A Glimpse into a Typical Day in a Latino Professional/ student's life (your internship experience, as an example.)"
reply: " I would recommend rewording the question “Typical day in a Latino Students life.” "

my reply:
" I appreciate your suggestion regarding the wording, and we're committed to fostering an inclusive environment. Your input is valuable, and we'll certainly make the adjustment to ensure a more encompassing description. I sincerely apologize for the confusion. My intention for the last question was for speakers to share some unique experience & resources at organizations they have had an experience at & how they dealt with common challenges in a professional setting. Basically, ranging from recommended experiences to tips to succeed in your specialization (finance, marketing, HR, supply chain, etc.), importance of internships, etc. "

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wait, how? doesn't it come under discrimination or harassment or inclusion categories or topics?
People can be "offended" for many reasons, and just because one is "offended" doesn't mean something is offensive to anyone else. You should follow up with the offended individual for suggestions on how to better communicate with them in a way that is not offensive to them.

Ros

But is it grounds for a suit?
People can be "offended" for many reasons, and just because one is "offended" doesn't mean something is offensive to anyone else. You should follow up with the offended individual for suggestions on how to better communicate with them in a way that is not offensive to them.

Zigner

I have to be honest: I am baffled as how you jump from "I would recommend rewording the question “Typical day in a Latino Students life to "lawsuit"

Reactions: Ros

Ros

I have to be honest: I am baffled as how you jump from "I would recommend rewording the question “Typical day in a Latino Students life to "lawsuit"
Okay, I might be overreacting, but I just wanna make sure if it has the potential to turn into a lawsuit where I did not properly communicate what I meant, their reply did show they did not like my email

Litigator22

I sent an email invitation, where I was asked to reword this phrase- 'Day in Latino student life', is this offensive? Did I hurt their feelings? How can I better communicate this?

extract from email: "Speaker Panel- the speaking segment. ..... Association of Latino professionals are invited to share insights into the following topics:
  • Your Career..... building resume, etc.
  • A Glimpse into a Typical Day in a Latino Professional/ student's life (your internship experience, as an example.)"
reply: " I would recommend rewording the question “Typical day in a Latino Students life.” "

my reply:
" I appreciate your suggestion regarding the wording, and we're committed to fostering an inclusive environment. Your input is valuable, and we'll certainly make the adjustment to ensure a more encompassing description. I sincerely apologize for the confusion. My intention for the last question was for speakers to share some unique experience & resources at organizations they have had an experience at & how they dealt with common challenges in a professional setting. Basically, ranging from recommended experiences to tips to succeed in your specialization (finance, marketing, HR, supply chain, etc.), importance of internships, etc. "
Pardon the impudence, but what does this uninspiring subject have to do with "Civil Rights and Discrimination Law", or any other field of jurisprudence as are included in this forum?

Unless you are afflicted with a split personality disorder how did you manage this: "I sent an email invitation, where I was asked . . " Perhaps you might wish to clean up that glaring anomaly before venturing into other wordsmithing chores.

adjusterjack

Okay, I might be overreacting, but I just wanna make sure if it has the potential to turn into a lawsuit where I did not properly communicate what I meant, their reply did show they did not like my email
You were apparently able to do an internet search to find our website. All you had to do was a search on the issue and you would have found all of the following resources:

is the word latino offensive at DuckDuckGo

Including an article that mentions the League of United Latin American Citizens.

Latinx, Latino and Hispanic: How this ethnic group's label has sparked debate - ABC News (go.com)

Suggesting that Latin American is the phrase that would garner widespread acceptance.

Zigner

"Offensive" is truly in the eye of the beholder. My wife has both Mexican and American Indian blood. She has no problem calling herself Mexican (or Latino) or Indian. In fact, she is offended that others feel they have some sort of right to tell her what she should be offended by.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
People can try to sue over anything. Whether they have a successful case is another story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">