• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

O/T: but worth thinking about

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? N/A

I know it's too much like right to expect the newbies on this site to actually utilize the search function before posting their question, however you remember the saying...

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime???

There have been a couple of questions on here in the last 10 minutes that could have been easily answered with the help of Google, or better, just calling the agency involved and simply ASKING THE QUESTION. At work, I like the litigant that goes to the Law Library, reads a book, still doesn't understand and then says... look, I read this, but I don't get it. Can you explain it to me?

I mean Zephyr just answered a question whose very simple answer was... Google it. My response to another was have you called CSE and asked them what their policy is? We all don't live in all 50 states so even to answer some of the posters questions, we end up having to do a little research ourselves, often posting the relevant statute for their convenience, but for ONCE... can they just research first... then ask???

*Off soap box and headed to work now*

Gracie3787

At work, I like the litigant that goes to the Law Library, reads a book, still doesn't understand and then says... look, I read this, but I don't get it. Can you explain it to me?
Too bad you don't live in FL, you'd love me if you did. Before getting a computer (and getting over my fear of one) I did ALL my research at the law library in our local courthouse. The clerk's all got so used to seeing me, they knew my first name, and a couple of times they even asked me a question that they didn't know the answer to.

Unfortunately, it seems like people aren't willing to do too much for themselves, they expect everyone else to do it for them. I don't mind answering questions, but when someone won't even try to do a simple search of this site, it can be irritating.

CourtClerk

Oh we've got a couple that at this point we should be inviting to the Christmas party and submitting their names on the gift exchange. They come in as often as the attorney service runners. We LOVE them.. and shoot, some of them are in so often (2 I can think of off hand) that there are a few attorneys that shoot them pointers and give them advice.

Lesson: people like to see when you are trying to do something for yourself. They are more apt to help then.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? N/A

I know it's too much like right to expect the newbies on this site to actually utilize the search function before posting their question, however you remember the saying...

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime???

There have been a couple of questions on here in the last 10 minutes that could have been easily answered with the help of Google, or better, just calling the agency involved and simply ASKING THE QUESTION. At work, I like the litigant that goes to the Law Library, reads a book, still doesn't understand and then says... look, I read this, but I don't get it. Can you explain it to me?

I mean Zephyr just answered a question whose very simple answer was... Google it. My response to another was have you called CSE and asked them what their policy is? We all don't live in all 50 states so even to answer some of the posters questions, we end up having to do a little research ourselves, often posting the relevant statute for their convenience, but for ONCE... can they just research first... then ask???

*Off soap box and headed to work now*
Its both the positive and the negative of the internet....and human nature...and human intelligence.

I hate "googling" anything...I do it often, but it generally doesn't get me what I need to know in "real time". I prefer going to the main source, like a state website, and then doing a search.

I am also horribly spoiled by the internet...I grew up in an era where unless your parents were rich enough to afford the current version of the Enciclopdia (god I cannot even spell it now...lol) your only option for research was the library.

If I am horribly spoiled by the internet, then that goes to show that people younger than me have no real "clue' about what constitutes "real research". They go to google...type in a topic...this forum IMMEDIATELY shows up in the search engine...and they expect to get their answers.

Seriously...go to google and type in any family law question and if this forum dosn't come up on the first page I will be very surprized.

Gracie3787

Its both the positive and the negative of the internet....and human nature...and human intelligence.

I hate "googling" anything...I do it often, but it generally doesn't get me what I need to know in "real time". I prefer going to the main source, like a state website, and then doing a search.

I am also horribly spoiled by the internet...I grew up in an era where unless your parents were rich enough to afford the current version of the Enciclopdia (god I cannot even spell it now...lol) your only option for research was the library.

If I am horribly spoiled by the internet, then that goes to show that people younger than me have no real "clue' about what constitutes "real research". They go to google...type in a topic...this forum IMMEDIATELY shows up in the search engine...and they expect to get their answers.

Seriously...go to google and type in any family law question and if this forum dosn't come up on the first page I will be very surprized.
I think we all get a little spoiled by the internet, it just makes it so much easier. You're right, this forum does come up on the first page when googling, that's how I found this site in 2004.

I know what you mean about trying to spell a word, I get confused on the simple ones- like is it "their" or "thier" (i before e except after c thing).

I think it is encyclopedia, but now I'm not sure.:eek:

TinkerBelleLuvr

I think that a lot of teachers just tell the children to 'search it out', but really don't teach HOW to search. What are key words? How to search within a search? How to use a phone book? How to use an encyclopedia or dictionary? My children think I'm a walking dictionary. Now, I will sit with the 11yo and see if she can figure it out. It takes major patience, and sometimes it's in short supply.

CJane

I LOVED the set of Encyclopedias we had when I was a kid! The 1979 edition of World Book. Man, they rocked. I'd love to be able to buy my kids a set today...

Of course, I make them look up words in a REAL dictionary while I got to www.m-w.com ;)

But yeah, it's that instant gratification thing. I WANT KNOWLEDGE (or an ooopma loompa) AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!! It's Veruca syndrome.

Silverplum

Our kids were "miserable" because we LOVE research and books and libraries, and those things/places are closely connected to our professions. My H bought a nice set of encyclopedias for something like $10/month for 4 years. :D

We wouldn't allow them use the internet for research, or the thesaurus function in Word, or a lot of other shortcuts until we were fully satisfied that they knew how to do it old school. ;) :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">