• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obamacare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

Yikes!

I definitely don't envy the extra work you and your tax-preparing cohorts will have this year.

Thank you for providing the excellent examples, LdiJ. They have led me to a better understanding (and anyone who can lead me to a better understanding of taxes is a bit of a miracle worker :)).
No, it will be fine While the tracking of information is a bit of a hassle (no one will come in with what they need) we're going to charge for the time in doing the work. For anyone needing the calculation, I figure an extra $50-100--even if one goes to an HR Block, Liberty type of place.

davew128

I still have clients in Mass, so its something I've had to deal with professionally for a long time anyway, but personally and professionally I am and always have been opposed to this stuff. I fought it unsuccessfully in Mass when I was there, my opinion hasn't changed over time.

What people don't understand is that technically Mass had mandatory health insurance laws on the books for decades before Romneycare, it was just a lot more limited in scope. The law read that all full time college students were required to have health insurance and if you didn't provide proof you would be provided and billed for it by the school. I remember being in college and emailing legislators (the ones at the time who had advanced enough to have email back then) and got one response: What if you walk across the street and get hit by a bus, who will pay for your medical bills?

My reply of "what about the pizza delivery driver walking next to me who also gets hit and doesn't have insurance" ended the conversation and at that point I realized that insanity and moonbats with double digit IQs ruled the Commonwealth.

RRevak

No, your friend was NEVER a soldier. He was a MARINE. You would do well to know the difference. :mad:
Rather than be banned for unpleasant commentary, i'm going to reply with the statement of i'm just going to pretend this wasn't written. YOU have NO idea WHY or HOW my opinions of the military have been obtained and YOU would do well not to EVER assume ANYTHING about such subjects and myself again! *spit*

And btw, I am very VERY well aware of the differences :mad:

Last edited:

davew128

Rather than be banned for unpleasant commentary, i'm going to reply with the statement of i'm just going to pretend this wasn't written. YOU have NO idea WHY or HOW my opinions of the military have been obtained and YOU would do well not to EVER assume ANYTHING about such subjects and myself again! *spit*

And btw, I am very VERY well aware of the differences :mad:
Rather than get you banned, I'll just state I don't give a rats behind about your opinion, you, or your bacteria infested spit.
Of course since you claim to know the difference between a soldier and a marine, you went and called them the same anyway. I'm guessing you're an Obama supporter or at the very least a Joe Biden supporter.

Silverplum

It's a well-known fact amongst the family and friends of Marines that the Marines call themselves "Marines," never, ever as "soldiers."

No spitting is needed.

LdiJ

No, it will be fine While the tracking of information is a bit of a hassle (no one will come in with what they need) we're going to charge for the time in doing the work. For anyone needing the calculation, I figure an extra $50-100--even if one goes to an HR Block, Liberty type of place.
I am more worried about 2015 when the 1095 forms will have to be included for all taxpayers with any kind of insurance...and the problems with the divorced and separated parents.

RRevak

Rather than get you banned, I'll just state I don't give a rats behind about your opinion, you, or your bacteria infested spit.
Of course since you claim to know the difference between a soldier and a marine, you went and called them the same anyway. I'm guessing you're an Obama supporter or at the very least a Joe Biden supporter.
My decorated brother recently committed suicide thanks to the United States Military. Don't ever address me in regards to anything military ever again.

tranquility

I am more worried about 2015 when the 1095 forms will have to be included for all taxpayers with any kind of insurance...and the problems with the divorced and separated parents.
"Problems" = "Profits"

While I think the PPACA is a rats nest of baloney and misdirection, you have to admit it is a profit center for tax preparers. Advice on avoiding the net investment income tax alone has resulted in thousands of dollars in billing. Do I care about our clients and the hassle, cost and extra tax imposed upon them by the PPACA? Yes. But, while the lack of "transparency" in the design is starting to be stripped away it is still the law and I have no problem making a profit from it.

LdiJ

"Problems" = "Profits"

While I think the PPACA is a rats nest of baloney and misdirection, you have to admit it is a profit center for tax preparers. Advice on avoiding the net investment income tax alone has resulted in thousands of dollars in billing. Do I care about our clients and the hassle, cost and extra tax imposed upon them by the PPACA? Yes. But, while the lack of "transparency" in the design is starting to be stripped away it is still the law and I have no problem making a profit from it.
For me, it depends on which clients we are talking about. I have all kinds...from the million dollar plus income level to the struggling single parents or the elderly poor...and every level in between. Yeah, I will make more money from those who can afford it, but I will eat more billable time due to those who cannot. I barely break even as it is on some of my clients. Yes, I could "fire" some of those clients but I won't.

I am also getting tired already of fighting with divorced/separated parents on tax issues relating to children. This is just going to add a whole 'nuther level.

However, one of my biggest concerns is honestly what this means in terms of dependents. This changes the entire nature of dependents. Also the whole issue of divorced/separated parents and children. How long is it going to take family courts to catch on and order things so that people are not penalized? How long is it going to take family law attorneys to figure that out and broker agreements that don't penalize parents? And, even if they do, how well are those parents going to cooperate in providing information/documents to make sure those agreements work?

As of 2015 a 1095 is going to get issued for every person that has health insurance and that 1095 is going to have to be reflected on the tax return of the person, spouse or parent claiming the child...whether that 1095 gets directly mailed to that person or not. Its a nightmare waiting to happen.

tranquility

For me, it depends on which clients we are talking about. I have all kinds...from the million dollar plus income level to the struggling single parents or the elderly poor...and every level in between. Yeah, I will make more money from those who can afford it, but I will eat more billable time due to those who cannot. I barely break even as it is on some of my clients. Yes, I could "fire" some of those clients but I won't.

I am also getting tired already of fighting with divorced/separated parents on tax issues relating to children. This is just going to add a whole 'nuther level.

However, one of my biggest concerns is honestly what this means in terms of dependents. This changes the entire nature of dependents. Also the whole issue of divorced/separated parents and children. How long is it going to take family courts to catch on and order things so that people are not penalized? How long is it going to take family law attorneys to figure that out and broker agreements that don't penalize parents? And, even if they do, how well are those parents going to cooperate in providing information/documents to make sure those agreements work?

As of 2015 a 1095 is going to get issued for every person that has health insurance and that 1095 is going to have to be reflected on the tax return of the person, spouse or parent claiming the child...whether that 1095 gets directly mailed to that person or not. Its a nightmare waiting to happen.
It's almost like it is a bad law with a ton of unintended consequences where the intended consequences keep getting rounded down based on results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">