• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oklahoma Public Intox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaffyDuck

Hi. I live in Oklahoma where a friend of mine got charged with public intox. Tried to make this short but ended up long.

1.) I believe my friend (Sally) drank that afternoon (she has a bit of a drinking problem). I can't say for sure though.
2.) My friend Sally was arguing with her boyfriend (Bob) at the park. Screaming was going on.
3.) So a [bystander called the police thinking that Bob was posing a danger to Sally. No hard physical contact was made. Basically, Bob would stand in Sally's way if she tried to walk away, making it hard for her to make progress going anywhere.

**It's worth nothing I guess that Bob had good intentions and was trying to keep Sally from visiting some new friends a few blocks away. They are basically the wrong crowd. Bad people...but I digress

4.) The police show up. They ask Bob and Sally their stories. Bob says he was just trying to keep her from getting to bad friends house and also to keep from driving. Bob believes she has been drinking. (but does not actually know.)

5.) Sally admits that she "had been drinking", though she may have said "I have been drinking"
6.) Any other questions are muddy, but they didn't ask her if she was drunk.
7.) Also she was not stumbling. There was no breathalyzer test, or ANY type of intoxication test. Also she did not slur speech. Basically she showed signs of agitation perhaps but not of intoxication.
8.) They arrest her for Public Intox. She spends TWO nights in jail (until someone bailed her out)
9.) Statute says sentence for that is $10-100 and/or max of 30 days in jail.
10.) The "ticket" or whatever is $140
11.) We're not lawyers and can't afford one. Tried legal aid and other avenues but they deal only with civil cases.
12.) All this occured in a suburb, so small police dept, small prosecution office.

We would of course prefer to NOT pay anything and to NOT have a record, but failing that any kind of mitigation of the charges would be nice. And so here are some questions pertaining to that. Questions:

1.) Why is the ticket $140 If she goes to court can she ask for mercy and have it reduced to $10?

2.) What kind of legal things can be done so that it will affect her record the LEAST. For example,
I forget what it's called..."withhold of adjudication", or "deferred adjudication", and how does one go about asking for that?

3.) What about "affecting the prosecution"? Can we ask the DA not to press charges?

4.) What is the term for compulsory dropping of charges when the police officer just doesn't show up to court? You know like traffic cases, in some jurisdictions, no cop, no prosecution, no conviction.

5.) With reference to question # 4, can I ask the police officer(s) to use their enforcement discretion and not show up? Or is that somehow tampering with witness as I see on TV?

6.) The statute seems very vague. I know that the statutory standard for intoxication is different than that of DUI, but it seems it's not defined in the statute. So WTF, she's drunk because the police officer said so? Would that be a good defense? To question the definition of "intoxication"? The challenge the police officer's judgment?

7.) ^ Where is "intoxication" with regards to public intox defined? Case law? What about challenging the vagueness of the law?

8.) What if they got her name wrong? (She's been divorced. Or maybe they made a typo?)

9.) What other defense can be made? Remember, no one really really knows if she was intoxicated.

10.) BTW, how much WOULD a lawyer charge for this more or less?

If anyone can answer one or two or all of the questions, or offer any **legal** advice, we would really appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

xylene

Who are you in this situation?

Basically, "Sally" needs to handle her own legal affairs.

If she has a drinking problem, this could be the wake up call she needs.

CdwJava

1.) Why is the ticket $140 If she goes to court can she ask for mercy and have it reduced to $10?
Because that's what the statutes allow for, apparently. I guess they want to get the person to appear to get a tongue lashing by the judge.

2.) What kind of legal things can be done so that it will affect her record the LEAST. For example,
I forget what it's called..."withhold of adjudication", or "deferred adjudication", and how does one go about asking for that?
Your friend will have to ask her attorney if this is available.

3.) What about "affecting the prosecution"? Can we ask the DA not to press charges?
Your friend can ask the DA anything. Absent some serious mitigation, why would the DA even be interested in dropping the charges? They aren't paid to watch the police waste their time and then drop charges when a prosecution is necessary and likely to be successful.

4.) What is the term for compulsory dropping of charges when the police officer just doesn't show up to court? You know like traffic cases, in some jurisdictions, no cop, no prosecution, no conviction.
The defense can make a motion to dismiss if the state has no case to present or fails to provide witnesses.

5.) With reference to question # 4, can I ask the police officer(s) to use their enforcement discretion and not show up? Or is that somehow tampering with witness as I see on TV?
YOU can ask the officer anything, but as you have no legal standing in this matter, the officer would likely ask, "And, who are you again?" And, of course YOU could be charged with a crime. Your FRIEND can ask the officer anything, but if she asks the officer not to show up she may be charged with that new, more serious offense - witness tampering.

6.) The statute seems very vague. I know that the statutory standard for intoxication is different than that of DUI, but it seems it's not defined in the statute. So WTF, she's drunk because the police officer said so? Would that be a good defense? To question the definition of "intoxication"? The challenge the police officer's judgment?
Without reading the statute, these sections usually require only the consumption of alcohol and some sort of disorderly conduct. No chemical tests, FSTs, or other tests are generally required.

7.) ^ Where is "intoxication" with regards to public intox defined? Case law? What about challenging the vagueness of the law?
Her attorney can look into that. However, I suspect if there was a case for vagueness, it would have been challenged under that a long time ago. The fact that the law is still enforced seems to indicate that no such successful challenge yet exists. Is your friend willing to spend thousands of dollars on the appellate process for this if convicted?

8.) What if they got her name wrong? (She's been divorced. Or maybe they made a typo?)
Paperwork issues are almost never going to result in a dismissal.

9.) What other defense can be made? Remember, no one really really knows if she was intoxicated.
She can speak to her attorney. But, she had been drinking and was causing a scene, that may be all that is required in your state.

10.) BTW, how much WOULD a lawyer charge for this more or less?
In my state you would probably be looking at about $1,500 minimum.

DaffyDuck

Hey what part of her not having an attorney did you guys not understand by the way?

http://library5.municode.com/default-test/DocView/14015/1/34/36?hilite=public;intoxication;intoxications;

(e) Any person who violates section (a) [being intoxicated in public] shall be punished by a fine of not less than $10.00 nor more than $100.00 or by imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both such fine and imprisonment.

How come they are asking her to pay $140 of the **max** according to the statute ^ is $100?

CdwJava

Hey what part of her not having an attorney did you guys not understand by the way?
We caught that. But, she is also eligible for a public defender (an attorney), is she not? And if for some reason this type of offense is not eligible for a public defender, then I suppose she has a lot of work ahead of her.

How come they are asking her to pay $140 of the **max** according to the statute ^ is $100?
Because they have tacked on fees and assessments on top of the "fine."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">