• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old tenant wants stuff back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

papashaq

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Hi all, I have an old tenant that rented a space from me to run a small Asian food market. He closed the store down and said he was moving out in Feb of 2009. He moved most of his stuff out and left a giant mess with rest of of it...it filled a whole dump truck. He also left 3 big coolers there and said he couldn't find a place for them and asked if he could store them there until he found someone to buy them. I said he could for $100 a month, but when i find a new tenant that he had to remove them. Nothing written down, all verbal. He paid until about August of 2009 and then I never saw any money or heard from him at all. I was moving my office and shop into the space, So about May of 2010 I tossed all his garbage and gave the coolers away to a buddy of mine that owns a gas station in a different part of the state. I didn't contact him at all as I figured he just wanted nothing to do with them any more. Now he is calling me, saying he has a guy that wants to buy his coolers and he couldn't get in to show them to his buyer cuz I changed the locks and his key didn't work...duh!
I don't think this is true, but he said he talked his lawyer and he said that I had no right to change the locks if I didn't own what was in the space...well I do own the space and now all my stuff is there. But I am sure he was trying to scare me. But none the less, am I going to have to get the coolers back from my friend that I am sure paid lots of money to have them hooked up since I didn't contact him and tell him I was getting rid of them after 8 months of not hearing from him? Or was it abandoned when he quit paying and didn't say anything to me? What should I tell him? I was there one day when his buyer strolled in and asked if he could see the coolers and I told him that I got rid of them. Thanks for any help.

Banned_Princess

commercial landlord tenant is a different beast.

I believe you have to refer to your lease only regarding lockouts and what happens to the commercial property.

Seanscott

Feb. of 2009? Did he expect you to keep them forever? I don't believe he had any discussions with an attorney. Personally, I wouldn't even discuss anything with this clown

FarmerJ

Curious here , did your lease spell out that if the rent was not paid the tenant would be locked out or what the tenant should expect if they didnt pay the rent ? did your lease spell out abandonement by the tenant ? Did you take pictures of the condition the tenant left the store in ? Any other things that would help establish abandonment like unpaid water and sewer bill notices or actual shut off records ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">