• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Older brother set this up with my elderly father to take all after my twin brothers death left me with nothing. What recourse and options do I hav

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s111659

What is the name of your state? PA
Older brother set this up with my elderly father to take all after my twin brother's death left me with nothing. What recourse and options do I have? Please help me.

I live in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please advise me of any information that would be helpful for my situation. I did hire an attorney and he gave me nothing but bad news. I am here for a second opinion and to know what my next step is. Thank you again and I appreciate your time.

My mother died when I was young which left us a family of four. My parents divorced when I was young. All that was left was my father, my older brother, me, and my twin brother. I was very close to my twin brother and father after my mother’s death. My older brother and I talked from time to time but we were not close. He was always a bully with me and I did not put myself around him unless I had to.

My twin brother tragically and unexpectedly passed away on September 26, 2019, without a will and without naming a beneficiary on his 401K/IRA. My twin brother was not married and has no kids. I wanted my twin brother buried with my mother but my father wanted him buried next to his sister. We disagreed and it was the funeral home who directed my father to make decisions and advised him that he is next of kin to inherit per intestacy laws. With this information, my father had him cremated and filed with the court to be appointed as executor of his estate on 10-18-2019. The only items filed so far are the death certificate, the petition to be appointed, and issuance of letters of administration to my father all done on 10-18-2019. My attorney advised me the PA inheritance tax would have been due on or about 6-26-2020 (which was not completed). An inventory of what was in the estate was supposed to be filed by now as well (which is also not done). Attorney said they would have shown up on docket if there were filed.

Because my twin brother died without a will, the laws of intestacy apply. Under those laws, if there is no surviving spouse and no children, then the next in line is any surviving parent, which is my father. That parent, my father, is entitled to 100% of the net estate.

My twin brother died owning a house with a ballpark value of about $200,000 and a mortgage of approximately $130,000 and an IRA of about $150.000. So, his gross estate was about $220,000. The inheritance tax would take a bite of 4.5% of the net estate (after the funeral and administrative expenses), so that would be about $9,000; assuming $20,000 in estate expenses, the net estate would be about $190,000. The house is still titled in my twin brother's name.

The IRA is usually distributed in accordance with the beneficiary designation made by the owner. My brother did not put down a beneficiary so I am told the IRA would go to his estate. The beneficiary of his estate goes to my father since there is no will and he was next to inherit per intestacy laws.

My father passed away on October 28, 2020, at the hospital. Before that, my older brother and I came to see him at the hospital. My father was weak and could not talk from time to time. I was under the assumption at that time during the hospital stay that my father had no will because we could not make medical decisions for him and the hospital did not have one on file. My older brother never told me my father had a will until my father died. The older brother told me to sign off cremation papers for the funeral home for my father to be cremated. I signed the papers and never heard from my older brother again. I was calling him for days which turned into weeks but he never returned my calls. I was asking and texting him to see the will but he never showed it to me and I ended up hiring an attorney who contacted him directly but heard back from his attorney.

Older brother’s attorney shows my father left a will dated 11-11-2019 which named my older brother as sole beneficiary (other than a watch designated for his grandson of my older brother). My older brother was my father’s caregiver. I am married and kept in touch with my father. We were never estranged. We had a relationship. I cannot imagine my father cutting me out. My father talked about distributing my twin brother’s money to us (me and my older brother) and he died while my twin’s estate is in probate-incomplete and before he could keep on his promise to distribute the money to us. I know my father rolled my twin brother’s IRA to his account already and took out a check for $40,000, that he told me was being mailed to his house where he lived with my older brother when he got checked into the hospital.

The issue is that my attorney says that if my father was competent to make a will, and was under no undue influence from my older brother, then the will is effective. Whatever amount is left in my twin brother’s estate would have considered having followed into my father’s estate. How could that be? There was no will in my brother’s estate. My father died during probate as it was not completed and the house is still under my twin brother’s name. How does it all go to my older brother? (tax not paid and no return filed) …

Attorney says even though the house was not titled in his name, I am guessing its value is still taxable to the estate. So your father’s estate will be subject to the inheritance tax of 4.5% of the net estate.

I looked at the will. It is signed by a notary who is also signed as the first witness. I looked her up online to talk to her about this and I found out she passed away on August 13, 2020. I cannot read the second signature’s name (witness) so I now find myself now stuck…

My attorney advised me that my only avenue are to challenge the competence or the possible influence of my older brother. How do I do this when I did not live there and do not know what went on? I talked to my father from time to time and made visits to my twin brother's home where my father and older brother lived. I do not remember seeing or knowing anything suspect. Since my older brother was living with my father, and he was my father’s caregiver, chauffeur, and living companion, I could see my father maybe recognizing him by giving him more but how could he give my older brother everything, which I do not believe he would do and to cut me out completely? My attorney says I am out of luck because unless there is a witness that would describe a scene where they saw my older brother taking my father’s hand and helping put his signature on the will, without him knowing what he was signing, then it is a very hard case to prove and I would be taking a chance and losing money on my end to fighting this.

My older brother is a narcissist and I know deep down he plotted this and knew about this while hiding it from me. He wanted to benefit because he is selfish. He was always jealous of the fact the twins got all the attention growing up. I feel cheated and know he is up to something which is why he stopped speaking to me after my father's death.

My attorney says in my best case if I won a challenge and the will was thrown out, the court might look back to a will that had previously existed; which I do not believe there is one. Or if there was no other will, then under the laws of intestacy, if my father had no surviving spouse (which he doesn’t), then his estate would be shared equally by his surviving children. So, it would be 50/50 between me and my older brother which I believe and know my father wanted. But as my attorney keeps indicating to me is that I would probably not be entitled to have my attorney fees and court costs paid out of the estate, so I would be out of pocket on those items along with everything else.

My attorney shared with me that I am eligible to be named as co-executor of my twin brother’s estate. That conceivably could entitle me to an executor’s fee which would depend on how much hourly work I put into the task but with no pot of gold at the end for me, it would be perhaps a thankless task. My attorney sees no other benefit here for me and sent me a bill which I paid.

My older brother’s attorney wants me to sign off on not being the executor of my twin brother’s estate. My older brother will not talk to me directly and only wants to speak through attorneys. How can I propose a settlement agreement to my older brother through our attorneys into giving me $55,000 from the estate as my father had told me he wanted me to have before he died? I would be willing to forget all and move on if he agrees with the $55,000.

If that’s not the case and there is no settlement agreement, please tell me how can I dispute this will and have this will have thrown out?

Thank you again and God bless. Jerry

t74

My comments are not on the legal issue but are from experience dealing with a dishonest sibling. I know that legal costs you incur can be far more than you will likely receive. As you have been advised, the estate pays its fees and you pay yours. Even a will does not insure that the deceased wishes will be followed if the executor refuses to do so. The cost to us to force the issue of a will equally dividing the estate far exceeded what remained after the executor prematurely disposed of the assets of the estate including spending the assets of an incompetent parent for her own (the executor's) exclusive benefit. The executor even gave away to non-family specific bequests of family heirlooms to a grandchild.

You have received good advice from the attorney. I know it is extremely emotionally painful to feel betrayed by a sibling; the damage to the relationship is forever. If a sibling has gone so far as to influence your father to disinherit you and his grandchildren, he is unlikely to respond positively to your suggestion.

Talking through attorneys will cost you your legal fees. Your money may be better spent getting your own affairs in order.

However, if I were you, I'd refuse to sign anything giving up your right to take action in the future. Look at what it takes to challenge your brother's appointment as executor of your twin's estate when it is applied; a third party might be a choice rather than either you or your brother. Be sure to look at the consequences of failing to file estate taxes in a timely manner; there may be significant penalties; it may not be in your best interest to become the executor of your twin's estate. The real estate and mortgage should be depleting the estate's assets. Be sure to consider the expenses you would incur especially since the cash in the estate has already been put in your father's account. If the real estate where your brother is apparently living would need to be sold to have money for probate costs, the complexity increases.

If you don't cooperate, the estate will need to jump through extra hoops or take longer to close. Since you likely have nothing to gain; don't worry about the costs to deal with the legalities of the estate settlement. Settling an even simple estate can be frustrating. You have more than enough to deal with grieving the loss of your twin and father in a relatively short time. My condolences to you on your losses.

The individuals mentioned above will have good legal advice for you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The issue is that my attorney says that if my father was competent to make a will, and was under no undue influence from my older brother, then the will is effective. Whatever amount is left in my twin brother’s estate would have considered having followed into my father’s estate. How could that be? There was no will in my brother’s estate. My father died during probate as it was not completed and the house is still under my twin brother’s name. How does it all go to my older brother? (tax not paid and no return filed) …
Your attorney is correct. If your father's will is valid then your older brother ends up with everything from your father's estate — and that includes what he inherited from your twin brother. Inheritance rights are fixed at the death of the person whose estate is to be distributed. Thus, your father's right to your twin brother's estate was fixed when your brother died. The fact that the probate had not been completed before your father died does not change that.

My attorney advised me that my only avenue are to challenge the competence or the possible influence of my older brother. How do I do this when I did not live there and do not know what went on?
Your attorney is right there, too. The will is presumptively valid assuming that on its face it meets the requirements for a will in PA (signed by your father, has the necessary witnesses, etc). That leaves you to pursue a will contest to get the will tossed. So you either attack that the will was improperly executed, or you show that your father was incompetent, signed the will under undue influence, etc. Your attorney would have the best view of which, if any, might be worth pursuing. You are right that you need evidence to support whatever contest you launch. Did your father mention you at all in the will? Was there anything in it that expressly said you weren't to get anything?

But as my attorney keeps indicating to me is that I would probably not be entitled to have my attorney fees and court costs paid out of the estate, so I would be out of pocket on those items along with everything else.
That is generally the case, too.

How can I propose a settlement agreement to my older brother through our attorneys into giving me $55,000 from the estate as my father had told me he wanted me to have before he died? I would be willing to forget all and move on if he agrees with the $55,000.
You have your attorney tell his attorney what you are willing to settle for $55,000 to forego any challenge to the estate and see what they say. Your attorney should know what to do.

If that’s not the case and there is no settlement agreement, please tell me how can I dispute this will and have this will have thrown out?
Your attorney has already told you that. In PA there is a two step process. The will gets filed with the register of wills and sometime after the clerk then accepts the will if there is no objection. If you file what is known as a caveat with the register of wills before the will is accepted, the register of wills will hold a hearing to determine whether to accept the will, reject it, or bind the matter over to orphan's court for further proceedings. If you don't until after the register of wills accepts the will, you must file a petition in Orphan's court to contest the will. Either way, how you prepare the caveat or petition is important. Done incorrectly you could significantly damage or limit your case before you even really get started. It's highly recommended you have an attorney experience in PA probate handle that for you.

There is unfortunately not much I (or anyone else on this forum) will be able to tell you that can help you beyond what your attorney has already told you. Your attorney knows the matter better than I do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My comments are not on the legal issue but are from experience dealing with a dishonest sibling.
There is no evidence presented in this thread to even hint that the brother has been "dishonest".

s111659

Your attorney is correct. If your father's will is valid then your older brother ends up with everything from your father's estate — and that includes what he inherited from your twin brother. Inheritance rights are fixed at the death of the person whose estate is to be distributed. Thus, your father's right to your twin brother's estate was fixed when your brother died. The fact that the probate had not been completed before your father died does not change that.

Your attorney is right there, too. The will is presumptively valid assuming that on its face it meets the requirements for a will in PA (signed by your father, has the necessary witnesses, etc). That leaves you to pursue a will contest to get the will tossed. So you either attack that the will was improperly executed, or you show that your father was incompetent, signed the will under undue influence, etc. Your attorney would have the best view of which, if any, might be worth pursuing. You are right that you need evidence to support whatever contest you launch. Did your father mention you at all in the will? Was there anything in it that expressly said you weren't to get anything?

That is generally the case, too.

You have your attorney tell his attorney what you are willing to settle for $55,000 to forego any challenge to the estate and see what they say. Your attorney should know what to do.

Your attorney has already told you that. In PA there is a two step process. The will gets filed with the register of wills and sometime after the clerk then accepts the will if there is no objection. If you file what is known as a caveat with the register of wills before the will is accepted, the register of wills will hold a hearing to determine whether to accept the will, reject it, or bind the matter over to orphan's court for further proceedings. If you don't until after the register of wills accepts the will, you must file a petition in Orphan's court to contest the will. Either way, how you prepare the caveat or petition is important. Done incorrectly you could significantly damage or limit your case before you even really get started. It's highly recommended you have an attorney experience in PA probate handle that for you.

There is unfortunately not much I (or anyone else on this forum) will be able to tell you that can help you beyond what your attorney has already told you. Your attorney knows the matter better than I do.
Hello Taxing Matters,

Thank you for your time and comments. You say the will is valid assuming it meet PA requirements. I was not mentioned in the will at all. There is something seriously wrong with that. Also, the notary and first witness is the same person and she passed away in August 2020. I can not read the second witness’s name. How can I feel this will is valid on my end when I can not speak to the witnesses or the notary?

This is a one piece of paper will.

Will of (Father/Name)

I, (Father Name)), a resident of the State of Pennsylvania, Delaware County, declare that this is my will. My residuary estate is all property I own at my death that does not pass under a specific bequest. I leave all my residuary estate, my financial assets, stocks, bonds, bank accounts and any liquid funds to my son (Older Brother’s Name). My watch should go to my grandson since his name is on it.

I name (Older Brother’s Name) to serve as executor of my estate. I, (Father’s Name), the testator, sign my name to this document, this 11th day of November 2019.

Signature: (Father’s name)

To the best of our knowledge, the testator is legally empowered to make a will, is of sound mind and is under no constraint or undue influence. We declare that the foregoing is true and correct this 11 day of November 2019.

First Witness

Signature of the first witness is the commonwealth of Pennsylvania Notary Seal who died in August 2020

The second witness I can not read the cursive handwriting of the name.

It has a Notary seal stamp and says the commission expires July 16, 2023 and the commission number.

I am interested what you said about leaving me to pursue the will contest to get the will tossed. Do I have grounds that the will was improperly executed? I do not have proof on my father’s incompetence. I typed up the will for your to read and its strange and not write that I was not mentioned, and nothing was expressed about me not getting anything.

I am meeting with my attorney on Thursday and will show him this draft here I typed down below to send to my older brother’s attorney.

(Dear Older Brother Name),

I realize this situation. Your attempt to steal all my dead twin brother’s money. You are living in his house as we speak. Spending his money and going against in what you know his wishes would be. You know he would have wanted us to split the money down the middle. That is just the way (Twin Brother’s Name) was. Honest, caring, and just. I cannot say the same for you. You took advantage of him when he was alive, borrowing money often from him and never paying him back. And, now after his death, your intent in finishing the job and in taking all his money. I could not imagine what kind of man would do such things.

I want to make an offer of settlement. If we reach an agreement for you to carry out my father’s plans to disburse (Twin Brothers Name) money between us, I am willing to accept $55,000 and for that, I will forego any challenge to the estate and content to the will. For doing this, could become very ugly, public, and personal. This will be my final and only offer.

When you come to a decision, let me know. Jerry (Me)

The last thing you said Taxing Matters (Overtaxed Member) is the most important and I will need to discuss with my attorney or another attorney which would likely be my next step if my older brother rejects the settlement offer. Like you said, how the caveat or petition is prepared is important. I can not thank you enough for your time and valuable feedback. God bless you and your time. Jerry

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello Taxing Matters,

Thank you for your time and comments. You say the will is valid assuming it meet PA requirements. I was not mentioned in the will at all. There is something seriously wrong with that. Also, the notary and first witness is the same person and she passed away in August 2020. I can not read the second witness’s name. How can I feel this will is valid on my end when I can not speak to the witnesses or the notary?

This is a one piece of paper will.

Will of (Father/Name)

I, (Father Name)), a resident of the State of Pennsylvania, Delaware County, declare that this is my will. My residuary estate is all property I own at my death that does not pass under a specific bequest. I leave all my residuary estate, my financial assets, stocks, bonds, bank accounts and any liquid funds to my son (Older Brother’s Name). My watch should go to my grandson since his name is on it.

I name (Older Brother’s Name) to serve as executor of my estate. I, (Father’s Name), the testator, sign my name to this document, this 11th day of November 2019.

Signature: (Father’s name)

To the best of our knowledge, the testator is legally empowered to make a will, is of sound mind and is under no constraint or undue influence. We declare that the foregoing is true and correct this 11 day of November 2019.

First Witness

Signature of the first witness is the commonwealth of Pennsylvania Notary Seal who died in August 2020

The second witness I can not read the cursive handwriting of the name.

It has a Notary seal stamp and says the commission expires July 16, 2023 and the commission number.

I am interested what you said about leaving me to pursue the will contest to get the will tossed. Do I have grounds that the will was improperly executed? I do not have proof on my father’s incompetence. I typed up the will for your to read and its strange and not write that I was not mentioned, and nothing was expressed about me not getting anything.

I am meeting with my attorney on Thursday and will show him this draft here I typed down below to send to my older brother’s attorney.

(Dear Older Brother Name),

I realize this situation. Your attempt to steal all my dead twin brother’s money. You are living in his house as we speak. Spending his money and going against in what you know his wishes would be. You know he would have wanted us to split the money down the middle. That is just the way (Twin Brother’s Name) was. Honest, caring, and just. I cannot say the same for you. You took advantage of him when he was alive, borrowing money often from him and never paying him back. And, now after his death, your intent in finishing the job and in taking all his money. I could not imagine what kind of man would do such things.

I want to make an offer of settlement. If we reach an agreement for you to carry out my father’s plans to disburse (Twin Brothers Name) money between us, I am willing to accept $55,000 and for that, I will forego any challenge to the estate and content to the will. For doing this, could become very ugly, public, and personal. This will be my final and only offer.

When you come to a decision, let me know. Jerry (Me)
That "settlement offer" is inflammatory and accusatory, and will almost certainly get tossed in the trash. Your deceased brother's wishes are irrelevant at this point in time.

t74

Vent your anger to your spouse, a friend, your religious leader, your psychologist not on paper. Take the high road especially since the likelihood of a positive response from your brother to a letter is low.

I truly understand how you feel. In our case, there was a will and it made no difference. The likely recipients of the property know the family members, have been asked to return the property to the executor so the property can be properly divided and have refused to do so. Every time I think about what happened, I feel that the other family members - especially grand and great grand children - have been betrayed by someone we trusted and helped in many ways. They do not have any momentos from these grandparents/ great grandparents while they do from the others. What is even worse that after the death we discovered that the sibling/executor had financially abused an incompetent very aged person via the POA and other financial transactions.

It is easy to equate a share of the estate with your father's love for you. Believe that he did not understand the consequences of his signing this document. He was grieving the loss of a child. Parents do not expect to outlive their children; he was trying to do the right thing by signing a will even though it is unlikely what he intended.

Please take time to care for yourself.-

t74

There is no evidence presented in this thread to even hint that the brother has been "dishonest".
Taking a person who just lost a child to sign a will disinheriting the other surviving child two months after the death of the third child can only be described as suspicious. The posted text of the will indicates it is unlikely to have been drawn up by an attorney. The fact that the signatory of the will was living with and dependent on the beneficiary and executor of the will certainly makes that child seem to be taking advantage of the parent - i.e. dishonest.

Just Blue

Taking a person who just lost a child to sign a will disinheriting the other surviving child two months after the death of the third child can only be described as suspicious. The posted text of the will indicates it is unlikely to have been drawn up by an attorney. The fact that the signatory of the will was living with and dependent on the beneficiary and executor of the will certainly makes that child seem to be taking advantage of the parent - i.e. dishonest.
Or the sudden and unexpected loss of his child made the father realize he needed to get his own affairs in order right away. Dad may have left everything to his son and care giver because he wanted to take care of his son who had been taking care of him.

t74

Or the sudden and unexpected loss of his child made the father realize he needed to get his own affairs in order right away. Dad may have left everything to his son and care giver because he wanted to take care of his son who had been taking care of him.
Dad should have been discussing his estate plan with the attorney handling probate of the son's estate. I would expect a very different document.

There are the legal issues and then resolving the emotional ones resulting from the legalities.

It is very odd that a person would leave something to one grandchild and only one child. While an estate distribution need not be equal, I would expect a mention and token for all children even if the bulk of the estate is left to one of the children. The fact there was no mention of OP at all - even to leave him $1- seems unusual for a professionally advised will.

It is even more important for a disinterested party to construct the will if one of the possible beneficiaries is in a position of power over a dependent person so that the will actually reflects the intent. When the essentially sole beneficiary constructs/arranges for the will and presents it to be signed, there are rightly questions about the actual intent.

I believe it is important to OP to realize that the distribution of the estate likely does not reflect the father's love for him. For OP to receive nothing while the other child receives everything per a will, is difficult to understand. It is far easier to accept that the will does not actually reflect the father's feelings about OP.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Additionally, Dad may have simply figured the one son would be "fair" to the other, without fully comprehending their relationship/lack of it. Add in one sibling in a caregiving situation, and things can get even more complicated. I'm in a similar situation myself, and I've resigned myself to the reality that I'll walk away with close to nothing. Meh. It's just stuff/money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">