• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KarynSmith

This is exactly what I was thinking when reading OP's account. A photo of you doing a Nazi salute in front of the Holocaust Museum, for example, could hardly be described as anything BUT racist/xenophobic. I also wouldn't be surprised if strangers doxed you for that.
Oh, Lord, of course not. I'm simply standing and smiling. I'm also not even inside the building, just standing at the back of the property with the backside of the building in the background.

I've contacted an attorney and a cease and desist letter is being sent tomorrow. This woman is the type to post that, and rail against how unfairly she's being discriminated against, though, so I am not expecting it to go well. We shall see.

quincy

Oh, Lord, of course not. I'm simply standing and smiling. I'm also not even inside the building, just standing at the back of the property with the backside of the building in the background.

I've contacted an attorney and a cease and desist letter is being sent tomorrow. This woman is the type to post that, and rail against how unfairly she's being discriminated against, though, so I am not expecting it to go well. We shall see.
Whew! :)

I am glad that you’ve contacted an attorney about sending a cease and desist letter. I hope that is all it takes.

Good luck.

Edit to add links on defamation claims on “racist” label.

Overhill Farms, Inc. v. Lopez, 190 Cal App 4th 1248 (Cal.Ct. App. 2010): https://casetext.com/case/overhill-farms-v-lopez

Columbia Journalism Review: https://www.cjr.org/united_states_project/nytimes_city_paper_libel_suits.php

Last edited:

quincy

An update, just to close out this thread. The cease and desist letter did the trick, and she sent a screen-recording of her deleting the tweets, and they have been removed. Thanks for all the advice!
Thank you for the update, Karyn. That is good news. :)

We all appreciate the thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">