• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Only underage 5 months from 21'st b-day and one beer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

they are getting trickier with their questions.

as written, it would include any offense, whether it be a misdemeanor or a felony.

I am not familiar with any deferred adjudication or similar named program in S. Dakota but typically it requires a guilty plea. Part of the program is almost always either some school time or community service time so if that doesn;t sound interesting to you, then simply plead guilty and accept your punishment, and record, straight up.

If offered DA, then you could ask then what it involves.

BradN

I didn't know if the felony was implied or not since any crime would include speeding or running a stop sign and you'd have to right down every traffic violation you've ever had. I think its a legitimate question.

BradN

would an email be fine or would it be best to call? and is the states attorney for the county the same as the District attorney for that county.

justalayman

I didn't know if the felony was implied or not since any crime would include speeding or running a stop sign and you'd have to right down every traffic violation you've ever had. I think its a legitimate question.
Hopefully it is a short list for you. Speeding (and other traffic infractions) are not considered a crime in all states. In some it is a civil infraction. I would beleive that is not meant to be included. You would need to check this for yourself what such offenses are considered in your state.

as far as e-mail v. telephone;

I do not trust e-mail. it is hard to prove that anybody actually looked at it and interaction is darn near impossible. Verbal communication is so much more effective.

as far as states attorney v. district attorney.

Typically a states attorney for the county is the same as a district (or prosecuting in some states) attorney. They prosecute crimes on behalf of the state within their jurisdiction.

seniorjudge

would an email be fine or would it be best to call? and is the states attorney for the county the same as the District attorney for that county.
An email or call for what reason?

Yes, the state's attorney is what a prosecuting attorney or district attorney is called in different states.

BradN

to explain my case and see if I could get deferred adjudication. I would have no problem getting in trouble for this again.

BradN

I know I have to show up for my appointed court date regardless but I was just wondering if I could contact the Sates Attorney prior to the date to see if deferred adjudication would be an option for me. I really don't want to have many court dates in a town 2 hours away.

seniorjudge

I know I have to show up for my appointed court date regardless but I was just wondering if I could contact the Sates Attorney prior to the date to see if deferred adjudication would be an option for me. I really don't want to have many court dates in a town 2 hours away.
You may have difficulty getting ahold of anyone who will talk to you; go ahead and try.

BradN

I called the states attorneys office just now and got put through to what I'm guessing was a layer. she said that first time offenders for underage consumption are eligible for a diversion program. I show up for my court appearance and the judge is supposedly going to tell me I'm eligible for it, I plead guilty and once I complete an 8 hour course about alcohol it's erased from my record. Thats some pretty damn good news.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">