• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opinion re: Ch 7 filed. w/ extra income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

My atty just filed our Ch 7 yesterday. We have a no asset case w only $222 left over ( without my unemployment) . My atty says be prepared to convert to a Ch 13 incase the trustee thinks its enough to repay our debt. We owe $82, 678 in unsecured credit card debt. I am really worried that the trustee will see that $222 is enough for a Ch 13. Also I am on Unemployment. I lost my job AGAIN in Oct. I've lost my job 2 times in the last 2 years. I was only granted 6 mos unemployment. My atty had to list that as income with (3 months left) after it so they could see it was a temporary income and disregard it for long term. He said they should understand this and not see it as an extra $1052 income in addition to $220.00.

Opinions?

D

Ladynred

Sounds like you and your lawyer need to do some more work on your expenses list and go back over that worksheet. You really don't want to be shoved into a Ch 13.

LadynRed!

We went through it with a fine tooth comb. My lawyer said he'd never seen anyone list so many expenses! I counted everything possible! We don't have enough left over for even 10% percent payback. From what I heard is that at least 10% for cc debt plus a % for the trustee? So that would have to be more than 10% total. Am I wrong? If I notify the judge, trustee I am expecting will that change their opinion? I fear being pushed into Ch 13 with baby on the way and no $ to buy the things we need to prepare for the child. Even if we went into Ch 13, we would have to convert to Ch 7 soon anyhow. It just seems to be a waste of time for them to even consider Ch 13 for us.

D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">