• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OPM CSRS Annuity - haven't heard anything at all

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Massachusetts

I was awarded an OPM survivor annuity (CSRS) well over a decade ago in a divorce. My ex died in December. I submitted all of the forms early February. Nothing has happened to exclude me from the award.

I haven't heard ANYTHING. It's been 90+ days ...

Their estimate for processing a survivor annuity is "2-3 months". One site says 60 days. Another says they are averaging 3 months for a CSRS.

I guess my question is: should I have heard some confirmation by now that they have received my paperwork? Or is this just how it goes?

There is no way for me to email or set up a portal (the number on my award letter isn't allowing me to register for an account). I know they have a phone number but I was trying to be patient and it sounds like it's not easy to reach anyone and anything with calling the government seems terrifying.

Note: after I submitted, I went back to the OPM site and it had been modified - it now said "the first step is to report the death" and then we'll send you the paperwork. It requires a claim number to report the death. I used the number from the old award letter; it allowed me to submit, but still nothing has come in the mail. As the ex, I am obviously not involved in the estate and the executor (another relative) would report the death.

Thanks for any help.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It's OPM, the agency that processes all the position changes, benefit changes, etc for all federal civilian civil service employees. The CSRS is the old full benefit retirement system that the federal government phased out in the late 80s, but those already on CSRS could keep it if they wanted. Despite a big promotional pitch to CSRS employees to switch to the new FERS system (which is like a 401(k) plan), few did. I joined the federal government at the time of the transition and I had to go with FERS. That was nearly 40 years ago, and the number of federal employees/retirees receiving FERS has diminished quite a bit, so the OPM doesn't have the same number of people working the CSRS benefits these days, and the priority for OPM is getting position changes entered on time for the agencies. All this means that OPM is going to be slow (well, it always was, that's just how most things go in the federal government, but for this it may be even slower) to process your documents. I suggest you wait about a month or so beyond the 90 days to account for problems the agency may have either with reduced staffing or increased work flow (this is a time of year when there are a number of position changes, along with the period leading up to the end of the year). If you haven't received anything after that then it's time to contact OPM. You may contact OPM by phone, e-mail, or regular mail (though OPM seems to prefer phone or e-mail). OPM has a FAQ page for former spouses of federal employees that may help answer some of your questions about the process.

If you call, try to put aside any anxiety. Easier said than done, I know, but there are ways to do that. Some smart phone apps can help with that. OPM is not a law enforcement agency; its only purpose is to aid employees with pay and benefit issues and process personnel changes for federal agencies. They aren't out to get anybody; their goal is to help employees (and their spouses, ex-spouses, and children) with pay and benefit issues, not to try to trip you up or make things more difficult than it needs to be. With most things related to federal and state governments some patience is often needed because they don't have the resources for fast turn around times. I worked for the federal government for a number of years and I generally find OPM reps to be reasonably friendly and helpful — once you get through to them. But I had to wait for the paperwork to process, and that took some patience (something I'm not always very good at myself). The reps will do what they can to assist you with your problem. E-mail works or snail mail works too, but it takes longer to get the benefits started if they have any questions.

Thank you immensely. Oddly enough, the processing for CSRS is estimated as less than the FERS - maybe just less people submitting at this point? One newsletter on OPM retirement issues (not by OPM) recently put 3 months for CSRS and 5 for FERS. The other funny thing is that - even though they have an email on their site, if you actually email that address it bounces back (see below). The link they suggest requires a case number which I don't have ... but thank you I will wait another month and then give them a call. I heard there are LONG wait times but they are friendly, I hope.

Thank you for your email.

Many of our services are available on Services Online. For example, you can request a verification of benefits, request a 1099R tax form, report an annuitant death, request a duplicate Retirement Services ID card, change your bank information or mailing address, and update tax withholdings.

Please note: Retirement Services cannot make changes to your health benefits enrollment or make changes to your life insurance via email. To make these changes, you must submit your request via mail to:
U.S. Office of Personnel Management
PO Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017

If you cannot find your answer online and still have a question about your personal situation, you must submit your email inquiry through OPM’s Retirement Support Center. For security purposes, OPM cannot respond to email inquiries containing protected personal information sent to [email protected].

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">