• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ordained Minister Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state? New York (Albany, not NYC)

If this is the wrong forum, I'm sorry.

I am writing this concerning the process of marrying people when you are an ordained minister of a religious group.

We are not in NYC, and I could not find law applicable to any region other than the greater NYC area, so your help would be appreciated.

A couple I know is getting married, and their friend became an ordained minister to perform the marriage. A certificate of the ordination is in the mail, and the friend has a confirmation number concerning this certificate to prove it is being mailed.

What is required in the state of New York to officiate a marriage in the eyes of the law? I called the local town clerk's office and they had no idea. Does the minister need to register to legally officiate? If so, would the confirmation e-mail do as proof of ordination? The reason I ask is because the woman who got ordained is from TX and will only be in town to handle this for a few days this week, and will probably not have the certificate by then.

Thanks!

dejablue

What is the name of your state? New York (Albany, not NYC)

If this is the wrong forum, I'm sorry.

I am writing this concerning the process of marrying people when you are an ordained minister of a religious group.

We are not in NYC, and I could not find law applicable to any region other than the greater NYC area, so your help would be appreciated.

A couple I know is getting married, and their friend became an ordained minister to perform the marriage. A certificate of the ordination is in the mail, and the friend has a confirmation number concerning this certificate to prove it is being mailed.

What is required in the state of New York to officiate a marriage in the eyes of the law? I called the local town clerk's office and they had no idea. Does the minister need to register to legally officiate? If so, would the confirmation e-mail do as proof of ordination? The reason I ask is because the woman who got ordained is from TX and will only be in town to handle this for a few days this week, and will probably not have the certificate by then.

Thanks!
Officiants in New York:
According to Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law, an officiant must be an authorized, officially ordained member of the clergy or a public official in the State of New York such as a mayor, city clerk, deputy city clerk, appointed marriage officer, justice, or judge. In New York City, an officiant must be registered with the City of New York. Ship captains can not perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.

More info:

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/a/officiants_2.htm

dejablue

Does this include online ordinations?
Online or not, they must be registered properly.

http://www.aweddingministers.com/rules.htm

New York
Ministers must complete a marriage certificate and return it to the town or city clerk who issued the marriage license within 5 days after the marriage. To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law. These include:

Various government officials; a member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body; a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing Church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs; other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law. The person performing the ceremony must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a ceremony within the New York City limits.
The officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State.
Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.

ErinGoBragh

Ugh. I just did some further research, and made a few phone calls and apparently in NYS, under the Religious Corporations act, article 2, you need to be a minister of a physical congregation to qualify as such. Therefore, online ordinations are not valid in NYS at this time. There was also a Supreme Court case that upheld this.

Thank you though!

dejablue

Ugh. I just did some further research, and made a few phone calls and apparently in NYS, under the Religious Corporations act, article 2, you need to be a minister of a physical congregation to qualify as such. Therefore, online ordinations are not valid in NYS at this time. There was also a Supreme Court case that upheld this.

Thank you though!
Or a public official in NY, which I am guessing doesn't apply either since their from TX.

seniorjudge

Thank you though!
Sounds unconstitutional to me.

ErinGoBragh

No- although that is an idea. I would guess if she could become a notary in New York between now and the September wedding, it may be a possibility, if notaries constitute as public officials. I'll have to look into it. Thank you!

ErinGoBragh

Sounds unconstitutional to me.
It does to me as well- apparently if you're of another spiritual denomination in NYS than the recognized and/or qualifying congregations, you can't have officiates of your group marry you if they don't fall within certain legal boundaries. I was pretty shocked when two different organizations, one county and one state, told me this information, but upon further research it seems it is correct.

While I tend to think someone will (hopefully) challenge it at some point, my friend is struggling to pay for the wedding as it is, so between that and her baby and job I think she has neither time nor money to retain an attorney and challenge the law.

I do wonder if it might be something I could write to the ACLU about though. As an unmarried woman of no major religion, I'm a bit disturbed myself.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Atheists have clergy?

At their summer camps, do the kids sing, DON'T Kumbaya?

At their meetings, at the altar call do they come down front and say, "I was saved but now am lost!"?

ErinGoBragh

I realized that and edited it to account for my stupidity. I'm at work and a bit unglued today.

Although your suggestions are funny.

That kind of makes me think though. What if I said I think atheists should be able to get married by other atheists though? There are groups- like the Brights- that do meet regulary. And discuss not being religious. Sort of like church, without the preaching and hellfire. Cause Justice of the Peace sucks, you have to get married in a courtroom from what I understand, and there are very few officiates in New York State who aren't religious. It's like wanting to have your ceremony done by a Catholic priest because you are Catholic.

Last edited:

ErinGoBragh

Sounds like me. My boss took one look at me this morning and pretty much told me to relax. Not helping much though, since the office phone's still working!

VeronicaLodge

Thank you though!
wow that means monica and chandler are not really married! :eek:

she may be able to get a justice of the peace to come out. I just got married by a judge on our porch.

xylene

Athiest church.

At their meetings, at the altar call do they come down front and say, "I was saved but now am lost!"?
The testify section goes more like this "Look, you fools. You're in danger. Can't you see? They're after you. They're after all of us. Our wives, our children, everyone. They're here already. YOU'RE NEXT!"

----

To the poster. Have you considered getting 'Married' (ceremony of your own choice and meaning) with your friend as the officiant, and then getting it "married" (legally) with some town clerk or whatever?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">