• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Order of protection - foreigner ex girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jorgef

What is the name of your state?
Illinois, Chicago.

I'm a foreign citizen who hasn't lived in the US or visited Illinois who received by mail and order of protection (no contact) petition with a court hearing in a few days. The order of protection accuses me of online stalking. I haven't done any stalking or tried to contact the petitioner in any way in almost a year. I believe some is stalking her and she believes it is me.

I can't go to the court hearing for I do not live in the US and can't afford a trip. How should I proceed with a defense? Is it even legal?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should probably contact an attorney in the Chicago area for assistance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?
Illinois, Chicago.

I'm a foreign citizen who hasn't lived in the US or visited Illinois who received by mail and order of protection (no contact) petition with a court hearing in a few days. The order of protection accuses me of online stalking. I haven't done any stalking or tried to contact the petitioner in any way in almost a year. I believe some is stalking her and she believes it is me.

I can't go to the court hearing for I do not live in the US and can't afford a trip. How should I proceed with a defense? Is it even legal?
If you cannot afford to follow Zig's advice to hire an attorney, you could respond to the petition by stating that you have not had any contact with the petitioner for over a year, that you are not stalking her online, and that you live in and are a citizen of whatever country it is that you live in, and that you have never lived in the US or visited Ilinois. Providing this response may not help much, but at least it would let the courts know that you cannot possibly be of any physical threat to the petitioner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">