• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Original Contract With Timeshare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmlyles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Briefly: Early 90's husband and wife get sucked into timeshare. 1 year later, wife refinances for international points, thus changing a $6k mortgage to a $16k mortgage. Jump forward 10 years. Husband and wife divorce. Ex-wife's name is on deed, but husband continues to make the monthly payments alone Plus the growing annual "Maintenance" fee. In the meantime, owners of said timeshare go bankrupt and sell to another company. Husband requests via email (several times) copy of original contracts in hopes of selling timeshare. Nothing. In the meantime, company sells out to another company. Husband requests copy of documents again on the phone and in writing. He has yet to receive anything. Any advice on how best to get copies of the original contracts? Husband's files on timeshare do not contain the documents. Ex-wife may have taken or destroyed or either of them could have lost them.

rmlyles

My husband got the timeshare (she quit-claimed it to him), but he's 'responsible' for the payments, although her name is still on the loan. According to the divorce order, I believe the language reads that if he ever sells it for a profit less what he's paid toward it, they would split said profit. Everyone knows the crummy resell of timeshares (well obviously they didn't back then). Anyway, we're close to satisfying the outstanding amount but we want to unload it for little or no profit because we barely use it and the annual maintenance fees can be steep... I know we're going to need to show ownership and contract information, so I'm trying to figure out how to get those. I've searched recorded documents in their county and couldn't find them online...

HuAi

In the first post you stated the ex-wifes name is on the deed.
In the second post you stated that the ex-wife quit-claimed the deed into your husband's name.

At least one of these statements has to be incorrect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">