• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OT - Being stalked by PI?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2Mistakes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

Good morning everyone!

This has nothing to do with custody or visitation, but I wasn't sure which forum would be appropriate, and I always value the advice I get on this forum, so I figured I'd ask here.

My wife is the plaintiff in a lawsuit against a former employer. The registered agent for the employer was served last week.

Since then, we've had (what we believe to be) a PI following her every move. My wife's attorney had a death in the family and has had to go to VA to attend to the details, so she isn't able to contact him right now.

Anyways, this guy is following her everywhere she goes. Which actually must be a pretty boring assignment for him. She stays home during the day. So he's only getting to follow her to and from picking up/dropping off the kids to school, and the occasional trip to Walmart.

She wasn't so much bothered by this when it first started happening, but she said that it is getting a little un-nerving. She has bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder, and it doesn't take much to get her anxiety up.

She doesn't have anything to hide, so she isn't worried about him "getting dirt on her." She is just starting to feel paranoid knowing that someone is always following her, and she's seen him taking pictures of her.

Over the weekend, she was in the front yard playing soccer with the kids when our dog took off to the woods in the lot across the street from our house. Our dog would never bite anyone, but I guess this guy doesn't know that. He came running out of the woods with camera in hand, jumped in his car and took off. We can only ASSume that he had been taking pictures of my wife AND the kids, which I am VERY unhappy about. My kids have nothing to do with this lawsuit. For all I know, he's also a pedophile and will be spanking his monkey to photos of my kids. Just sayin . . . . .

So anyways, is this legal behavior? If my wife calls the police, can they do anything? I mean I know that a PI's whole job is to basically "stalk" his subject, but I think generally, if the PI is good, his subject doesn't even know he's there.

If she calls the police, will they just say, "Sorry ma'am, he's just doing his job?"

Also, is the PI's "evidence" i.e. video recordings, photos, notes, etc. discoverable? Like I said, the only "evidence" he's going to have is that of a homemaker who takes care of the children, goes grocery shopping, etc. I don't see how any of this would benefit the defendant's case.

So anyways, any insight you knowledgable folks can offer would be great. My wife is really starting to be affected by this. At this time of year, my wife loves to open the blinds and windows and let the fresh spring air in, but because of this she's just basically holed herself up in the house all day with the blinds drawn because she feels like her privacy is being invaded.

Zephyr

I don't think it would hurt to call and find out what the police are willing to do.

Personally, I'd probably take pictures of him taking pictures of me- but sometimes I'm snarky like that

Isis1

given your wife's condition, i think it could be harmful. i'd ask her doctor or therapist for some suggestions. i'm thinking like a mommy helper to keep her company. or even that wonderful dog....:D

i'm still laughing at the mental picture of a grown man running away with camera in hand.

there is the thought of maybe waving at the guy, posing for the picture, let him know you know he's there. leave a plate of cookies. maybe take the paranoia out of the whole issue.

wileybunch

I would also call the police and see what they have to say about it.
What is the cause of action in the suit? Is it something where seeing what your wife's normal activities or what she says, does, is capable of, etc. would come into play?

2Mistakes

I would also call the police and see what they have to say about it.
What is the cause of action in the suit? Is it something where seeing what your wife's normal activities or what she says, does, is capable of, etc. would come into play?
It's a sexual harassment suit.

I'm not sure what they're trying to "find" by watching her. I'm guessing anything they can use to slam her character?

She has resorted to running around in scrubs all the time. She has very large breasts, and even in a plain basic T-shirt, you can tell she has them. She doesn't want there to be ANYTHING that could be misconstrued about her and used against her, i.e. "Oh, look at her. She's got big boobs and dresses provacitively." She doesn't dress provacitively, but like I said when you have very large breasts, they can sometimes be hard to hide.

So anyways, she's getting ready to start nursing school, and will the need the scrubs, so she went and bought a couple sets and is just wearing those around the house and to run errands. She says they are the least sexy thing she's ever worn. I think she's kinda hot in them.:D

2Mistakes

We have a very nice deputy who patrols our area. Last November, my wife had to call the police about a situation that had gotten out of hand with her ex-husband, and this deputy responded. Everything came out ok in the situation.

This particular deputy is a really nice guy. After that situation had been handled, he stuck around for a bit and came in and had coffee and shot the bull with us for a bit.

He gave my wife his card (which included his cell #) and told her if she needed any help in the future to call him.

She's going to find his card and give him a call.

wileybunch

It's a sexual harassment suit.

I'm not sure what they're trying to "find" by watching her. I'm guessing anything they can use to slam her character?

She has resorted to running around in scrubs all the time. She has very large breasts, and even in a plain basic T-shirt, you can tell she has them. She doesn't want there to be ANYTHING that could be misconstrued about her and used against her, i.e. "Oh, look at her. She's got big boobs and dresses provacitively." She doesn't dress provacitively, but like I said when you have very large breasts, they can sometimes be hard to hide.
Exactly. And, if she's claiming any ongoing emotional distress, they can be looking for proof otherwise. And, they can even be doing it for psychological warfare. How unnerving to know you're being watched and photographed, though. :mad:

waitinMd

I hired a PI against my ex to document her contempt. She complained to the Judge after she was told by her lawyer that the PI had documented her negative behavior several times. The judge said "oh well..... too bad" and found her in contempt.

I think as long as the PI is not breaking any laws you can't do much about it.

Although it sure is a waste of money to have a PI if she knows he is there. The entire idea is that the person does not know they are being watched.

The only thing she can do is run the tab up, I know my PI charged more to chase my ex around town. For me it was worth it, my daughter was in danger.

I'm sure the PI will go away as soon as the reality sets in that he isn't going to "get" anything.

Also, is the PI's "evidence" i.e. video recordings, photos, notes, etc. discoverable? - yes...

Does the PI know she knows he is there? I agree with Zephr, take pictures or wave!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually she (with someone) needs to walk up or shout at the person and tell him he is on notice that if he continues she will prosecute for harrassment, stalking and every other thing she possibly can. The photographs are discoverable as long as they are shot on PUBLIC property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">