• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out Of State Title Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

That's what is sort of confusing. Which state guidelines are applicable. I believe you are correct. The dealer has to sign the title on the back as the purchaser. They applied for and I received the reassignment. Unfortunately, the notary at the dealership wasn't able to do their job and failed at verifying the odometer reading and making sure the Seller signature was completed before they notarized the title.

The dealership stopped communicating with me after I asked for the POA form to be forwarded to me through email so I could verify it. I sent the owner/president of the dealership an email this afternoon and copied the general manager asking for some answers. If I do not hear back from them tomorrow, I'll start filing complaints with the WV SOS and DMV as well as the Ohio SOS and any other government agency that I can complain to. :(
The dealer signs the title as the seller, not the purchaser.

The original owner fills in the info of the buyer (which was the dealer) and the dealers assigns the title to you with their signature .

Actuslly the dealer would be obligated to provide the poa if Ohio demands it. As I said in the other post, it is what proves the dealer had the legal authority to sign the original owners name.

FlyingRon

No, if the transaction took place in WV, WV law applies. The poster has the additional problem of what he needs to get the title accepted by the BMV in Ohio.

I made a purchase from a Texas individual. Texas doesn't require notarization on titles. North Carolina does. The NC agent had to look up to see if that Texas signature without notary was valid (it was) before she accepted it.

justalayman

No, if the transaction took place in WV, WV law applies. The poster has the additional problem of what he needs to get the title accepted by the BMV in Ohio.

I made a purchase from a Texas individual. Texas doesn't require notarization on titles. North Carolina does. The NC agent had to look up to see if that Texas signature without notary was valid (it was) before she accepted it.
And it appears WV allow for a reassignment of title without the dealer obtaining a title in their name before reselling it. Is that not settled for you for some reason?

So now, what Ohio accepts does matter from that point forward. If they demand s copy of the poa, then this what it will take to file for a title in Ohio. It they don’t require it, then it isn’t required.

Since the dealer does not have the authority to sign the original sellers name without a POA, Ohio can require they be provided a copy to accept the original sellers signature by the dealers hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">