• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpaid Tax credits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
This is with regards Tax Law in UK.


I would like to receive an advice. Back in 2011, I was receiving Working and Child Tax credits, alongside with Child Benefit payment while working in UK. I changed job and left UK - I moved to Ireland.

I have called twice to cancel my Tax credits on customer service line (provided my security information), and both times received an answer, that there is no payment due to my bank account. As I still had some saving accounts open in UK - I never cancelled my Bank account number (it is still open). It was back in 2011.

However, they continued payment into my bank account for several month. As it is quiet costy to call them all the time, I just thought with every month - they will cancel the payment, however they only did it almost after a year.

Nothing happened for several years, until now - in Ireland I received Debt collector letter with the payment which I owe UK Tax Credits department. I don't have such money and as I did called twice and spoke to 2 different people - I received the same answer, that there is no payment due to your bank account - I remember, I have even provided my bank account number - just to check, whether they can search their systems.

I don't feel, that I have done something wrong - I just think there is a flaw in the system.

What would be your advice on this matter.

Kind Regards,


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential