• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overseas divorce - Where to initiate proceedings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMS3ACE

Georgia isn't an option at this time because one party must be a resident for 6 months before action. So strike that and it is a Non-US law question.
Thanks for quoting the 6 months. Let us say that the couple doesn't want to get the divorce RIGHT now due to some situations and they decided to quit Qatar job and return back to the USA. They can initiate the divorce in USA once the residency requirements are met.

Let's assume the couple decides to drop the divorce matter because it's too costly or the Qatar employed spouse will have to give up his job due to the divorce and they decide to leave it and go to UK to retreat. Where the UK spouse is from. They can very well use the UK to divorce, JUST Like the other spouse can use US to divorce her.

Regardless each country has its own laws to abide by. And am sure when they retain a family law attorney they will work it out what is best for them. Things change. Just because they asked the question today, don't necessarilly means that they will file for divorce tommorrow.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for quoting the 6 months. Let us say that the couple doesn't want to get the divorce RIGHT now due to some situations and they decided to quit Qatar job and return back to the USA. They can initiate the divorce in USA once the residency requirements are met.

Let's assume the couple decides to drop the divorce matter because it's too costly or the Qatar employed spouse will have to give up his job due to the divorce and they decide to leave it and go to UK to retreat. Where the UK spouse is from. They can very well use the UK to divorce, JUST Like the other spouse can use US to divorce her.

Regardless each country has its own laws to abide by. And am sure when they retain a family law attorney they will work it out what is best for them. Things change. Just because they asked the question today, don't necessarilly means that they will file for divorce tommorrow.
Ya know, it's easy to make up facts that are NOT given to us just to try to make your own incorrect answers fit in. It's easy, but not very useful. :rolleyes:

SMS3ACE

Ya know, it's easy to make up facts that are NOT given to us just to try to make your own incorrect answers fit in. It's easy, but not very useful. :rolleyes:
I am not saying that these are the facts. The Questioner did not mention any of what I have stated. I said what i said to answer your question, as to how it can be possible for them to be eligible to use USA as an option. I am curious to know what is your academic or professional background?

SMS3ACE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My husband and I are living in Qatar. He is from Georgia, USA and I am from the UK.
Please can anyone offer any advice regarding which country would be best for me to initiate divorce proceedings in.
Let us know if you need further guidance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not saying that these are the facts. The Questioner did not mention any of what I have stated. I said what i said to answer your question, as to how it can be possible for them to be eligible to use USA as an option. I am curious to know what is your academic or professional background?
No, you made up facts to try to justify your incorrect information. As it stands NOW, they are not eligible for a divorce in the US. You stated they may be. You were wrong.

I'm a turnip farmer in a mid-sized state. Thanks for asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">