• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overturning a suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k12k08

My question involves education law in the State of: California

Hello Guys,

I was recently wrongfully suspended for a false complaint by another student. I actually suffer from PTSD from the other student harassing me. I had an appeal hearing and the other student wanted to come. I requested to participate via a video conference in avoidance of seeing the other student. The other student during the appeal purposely sat in front of the video camera, stared at me and left in a way that it prompted the appeal hearing officer to say something. I then of course got intimated by the other student and it interfered my ability to appeal. I asked if I could email my responses, statements and questions. The appeal hearing officer denied this. I never ever had a chance to speak or actually appeal. The appeal hearing officer was extremely impartial ( in his defense, I am a guy appealing against a girl...the girl is very manipulative, narcissistic and plays a victim...she once had one of my old friends invite me to a house on her behalf to show that she was sleeping with him..... )

I have a couple of concerns:

During the appeal, the appeal hearing office noted that I was appealing the sanctions and not the violations. Which is incorrect I was appealing both

The appeal hearing officer also relied on policies for the violations that were changed after the incident has occurred. I was also originally sanctioned with policies that weren't released nor effective at the time. I dont find this fair and would like to be sanctioned with the policies that were effective at that time.

The appeal hearing officer denied me sending emails for any questions, responses..etc I never actually had a real chance to speak.

The appeal hearing officer stated in a summary that the complainant asked for no visual which is incorrect. They never asked the appeal hearing officer. I also asked for a recording and they have modified the recording. I however emailed school officials from the start, sent messages to friends stating what the other student did and the timestamps corresponding to the messages. Since the officials did not deny that she interfered it should be in my favor.

The logic is in my favor, If I have a chance to explain that is. I contacted an education attorney about this and he said I could file a writ of administrative mandamus. He of coursed offered to do it for me but I could not afford his fee. If I have an actual chance to write and present my argument to a judge I can.

Is my best option filing a writ of administrative mandamus in my situation? If so, how will I go about this?

I found this: https://www.smclawlibrary.org/needhelp/WritAdministrativeMandate.pdf

I don't believe step 1 applies here, since its an university and not a court.

Also if anyone can tell me in general how to apply and where to apply and any inside scoop about a writ of administrative mandamus, I would really appreciate it.

I know this might sound bad but I feel really strongly about this and really want to do this.

CdwJava

How old are you? I assume, based upon what you state here, that you are an adult (i.e. age 18 or older).

Now, this is important, is this suspension from a high school? Or, from a college or university? Even more important, is the school a public school, or a private one?

I am not certain that you are yet at the point where you can even file the writ, but, an answer to the previous questions may help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
On another site, the OP admits to sending the offending messages to a fellow student and reasons that she could have blocked him but didn't.

k12k08

Y
On another site, the OP admits to sending the offending messages to a fellow student and reasons that she could have blocked him but didn't.
Correct but that doesn't paint the whole picture.... If you over to me and push me then you message me saying wtf? I turn these messages, play a victim and get you reprimanded in some sort of a way for my benefit... Lets say this is at our employeers office and I said by you sending these messages it distracted me on actually working. So I am wanting you to get reprimanded for an excuse on not being able to work....

For everyone else please be mindful, the other student was actually not a victim.

Zigner

Y

Correct but that doesn't paint the whole picture.... If you over to me and push me then you message me saying wtf? I turn these messages, play a victim and get you reprimanded in some sort of a way for my benefit... Lets say this is at our employeers office and I said by you sending these messages it distracted me on actually working. So I am wanting you to get reprimanded for an excuse on not being able to work....

For everyone else please be mindful, the other student was actually not a victim.
You send threats of harm. The other party WAS a victim of your threats. The suspension seems proper to me, and that's after hearing only your rosy version of events.

k12k08

You send threats of harm. The other party WAS a victim of your threats. The suspension seems proper to me, and that's after hearing only your rosy version of events.
There were no threats of harm hence no victim. That is why the suspension was not proper and why I want to appeal to a judge

k12k08

When I first posted it, I didn't understand why people were implicating that I was in the wrong, it was proper(the suspension)...etc then I read the other posts and understand the type of person that comes to post on a legal board for free advice. Most don't have valid claims. There are people with legitimate concerns and claims that need help and cant afford it. Please be aware of that before posting your opinion and jumping to conclusions

PayrollHRGuy

Clearly, the girl you sent them to and the school didn't agree.

If you want to sue the school (the only way this is going to get in front of a judge) feel free to do so. It will cost you some money, probably a not insignificant sum.

If you are wrong about the nature of the texts then you may end up with criminal charges.

How about you tell us what you did write.

Zigner

From your posts on another forum:

"They suspended me for two years for saying messages and I repeat just messages that they were life threatening and caused substantial amount of stress. When this has been an on going thing with the other student. The other student could have blocked me but they refused to block me, the other student kept doing stuff (ie sleeping with my friends) then I was sent messages in response. They then translated they messages to life threatening..... Never in the messages did I threaten or even say explicit sexual implications. They were honestly either random or asking why she is causing me issues."

k12k08

From your posts on another forum:

"They suspended me for two years for saying messages and I repeat just messages that they were life threatening and caused substantial amount of stress. When this has been an on going thing with the other student. The other student could have blocked me but they refused to block me, the other student kept doing stuff (ie sleeping with my friends) then I was sent messages in response. They then translated they messages to life threatening..... Never in the messages did I threaten or even say explicit sexual implications. They were honestly either random or asking why she is causing me issues."
Correct and again, these messages can't be translated into something that would implicit harm to someones life.... While the girl obviously says this for an unethical motive...the school agrees for reasons I do not understand. Any logical human would not agree. That is why I want to bring this to court...

Just Blue

Correct and again, these messages can't be translated into something that would implicit harm to someones life.... While the girl obviously says this for an unethical motive...the school agrees for reasons I do not understand. Any logical human would not agree. That is why I want to bring this to court...
What exactly did you text to her? Why do you care if she sleeps with your friends?

Zigner

You don't get to bring the facts to court...only the procedure.

xylene

Bluntly, you should consider this a blessing, take some time off, get therapy for your issues, and transfer to another school or join the workforce and have nothing to do with these people ever again.

You have serious emotional maturity issues and an inability to see yourself and your actions in the world honestly, which is why you blew your appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">