• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Own Unit with Tenant and Want to Sell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

felici05

What is the name of your state? Florida

I own a condo that I rent out. I have a tenant in the unit and their lease does not expire for 5 more months. I would like to put the property on the market now and sell it.
- I believe the new owner would need to honor the remainder of the lease -is that correct?
- What notice am I required to give the tenant on my intention to sell ?
- Can I just transfer the lease to the new owner? (w/security deposit and last month rent?)
- Do I have to give the tenant the first right to purchase the unit?
- If the potential buyer wants the unit but without a lease, is there anyway to force the tenant out?
Thank you!!

BelizeBreeze

felici05 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I own a condo that I rent out. I have a tenant in the unit and their lease does not expire for 5 more months. I would like to put the property on the market now and sell it.
- I believe the new owner would need to honor the remainder of the lease -is that correct?
Correct
None that I am aware of.
- Can I just transfer the lease to the new owner? (w/security deposit and last month rent?)
yep
nope.
- If the potential buyer wants the unit but without a lease, is there anyway to force the tenant out?
Thank you!!
Yep. Either buy the tenant out (NOT inexpensive) or wait 5 months.

Some Random Guy

Yes

If you plan on showing the place to potantial buyers, you should give the tenant as much notice as your lease or state laws require. Generally 24 hours notice before a showing is adequate is many states but read up on your FL Landlord/Tenant laws.

Since the new owner willl need to return the security deposit and use the last months rent, he will be mad if they are not transferred. Make sure to clearly ientify those items in your sales agreement.

If your lease requires it, then yes.

By paying him enough money to convince him to go away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">