• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OWNER SERVED ME NOTICE SAYING HE WAS TAKING PROPERTY OFF RENTAL MARKET AND LIED.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frankly, it may not have been untruthful. It's quite possible that circumstances changed, and if that's the position the LL takes, then it's going to be very difficult for you to prove otherwise.
I found out from the electric company . It was transferred out of my name and into hers the day I had to be out.

alexander468

Then shouldn't he have just served me a letter to vacate. Didn't he mess up by serving a untruthful letter
Yes, maybe. But maybe not. Not just the new law, but the older 2020 Tenant Protection Act in California can be connected to civil penalties. But they might not be. See the final bullet point and last paragraph at https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/media/Tenant-Protection-Act-Landlords-and-Property-Managers-English.pdf

He has an attorney that has been attorney for years already. I'm pretty sure his attorney should know the law.
That's why you should have someone like that on your side too. Very specific particulars and personal information that probably shouldn't be shared in public is likely involved. There was a link to advocacy groups and to resources for finding free or cheap legal help in my last post. I hope you use those resources. Many people who post here do the best they can, but I don't think even a perfectly knowledgeable legal expert would be able to help you online in a forum like this one.

quincy

… I don't think even a perfectly knowledgeable legal expert would be able to help you online in a forum like this one.
At the bottom of this and every page of this forum is an IMPORTANT NOTICE that says in part: “Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum is never a substitute for personal advice from an attorney licensed in your own jurisdiction you have retained to represent you.”

There is also a link in the NOTICE to help a poster locate an attorney, or they can contact their State Bar/Association.

quincy

No we are a small town. I k ow this woman personally.
One month before I had got the notice the owner of the apartment she was renting passed away and she had to move.
Thank you for the additional information.

I recommend you speak to a landlord/tenant attorney who can personally review the way your landlord handled the termination of your tenancy and the removal of your property from the rental. Your personal property should have been safely held for at least 15(?) days after you received notice that everything needed to be retrieved or it would be disposed of.

The attorney you see can tell you after his/her review whether there is any legal action to take against your landlord.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">