• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Driver gets DUI in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irish77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

For the first time I am not posting for myself. Trying to help someone else out. PA licensed driver got his first DUI in NJ. At court today NJ judge said he was suspended in NJ for 6 months and also needs to have an ignition interlocking device installed in the event he drives in NJ after the suspension. He has not rec'd any communication from PA, but this is his first DUI in his life and I am surprised that he is being asked by NJ to install the interlock device and wonder what PA will penalize with.

From my unfortunate & personal experience, I would have thought he would have received no suspension in PA, but a 6-12 month suspension in NJ.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Bob

FlyingRon

If he wants to drive in NJ, he has to play by the NJ rules.

PA will not suspend his license for a first offense out of state DUI (and frankly, by the time they get around to even thinking about it, the NJ suspension would be over).

irish77

Thanks Ron....just seemed like a lot to slam him with the ignition interlock for the first offense, but maybe that IS because he is out of state. Not sure. Yes, I was kinda thinking PA will send him a notice that it counts for scoring purposes.

FlyingRon

It's mandatory to have the interlock if you want a restricted license during your suspension. It's also mandatory to have it for an additional six months following restoration of your license in the case of high BAC. The judge can also impose it in other cases at his discretion for up to a year after your license reinstatement.

It sounds like he's getting the standard first offender treatment. No extra penalty for being an out of stater.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">