• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA: Independent Contractor & worked Comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pixelrogue1

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?PA

I am, for the first time, an independent contractor in Pennsylvania.

I have not been finding much (relevant) information around workers comp and if it is required in pa

quincy

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?PA

I am, for the first time, an independent contractor in Pennsylvania.

I have not been finding much (relevant) information around workers comp and if it is required in pa
Here is a link to Pennsylvania's Department of Labor and Industry website on workers compensation where you can scroll to the bottom to find contact information and resources.

http://www.dli.pa.gov/Businesses/Compensation/WC/Pages/default.aspx

adjusterjack

Required? By whom? For whom?

If you are truly an independent contractor in business for yourself, performing services for various clients, billing your clients by invoice, controlling how you perform the task assigned to you, filing your taxes on Schedule C - Business Income and Expense and Schedule SE - Self Employment Tax, then your client is not likely to be required to purchase WC on you and you may be able to purchase it for your business to cover yourself.

Now tell us why you think you are an independent contractor, what kind of work, where and how you are doing the work, and how are you being paid.

pixelrogue1

Corp-to-corp software consultant.
1099 via 3rd party client.

Back to the original question, is workers comp *required' by the state of Pennsylvania?

HRZ

And if OP is an IC living. In PA but driving for a NJ broker he or she may well be required to carry WC under NJ law. ( Not clear what OP is doing or where ..just the case cited by Quincy reminded me that truckers can be an important exception as to WC coverage laws )

quincy

He said he was a software consultant, not a trucker, but there are still several factors to consider. There is not a clear cut yes or no answer to the question asked. Legal answers are rarely that simple. :)

PayrollHRGuy

There is also his clients wishes that come into play. There are MANY companies that won't do business with a contractor/consultant that doesn't have workers' compensation and provides a Certificate of Insurance showing it.

I had two consultants that were going to do about six months work for a local plant. Neither had WC nor wanted to get it. They ran their pay through our temp services division while they were working at the plant. Highest paid temps we ever had.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">