• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pa statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fedup714

What is the name of your state?
pennsylvania, heres the background real quick:
my husband has two kids with his ex, never married, they had a joint account that she deposited money into. she paid previous debts of his up to march of 2003 latest july 2003, she is now threatening to take him to court to recover these monies withdrawn from their joint account. can she sue him for this? it is approx. 4000.00 (or so she says) he is unsure. all monies paid were while they lived together and were "together". what is the statute of limitations. is it likely that this could go to trial.

thanks for your help! :confused:

Veronica1228

fedup714 said:
What is the name of your state?
pennsylvania, heres the background real quick:
my husband has two kids with his ex, never married, they had a joint account that she deposited money into. she paid previous debts of his up to march of 2003 latest july 2003, she is now threatening to take him to court to recover these monies withdrawn from their joint account. can she sue him for this? it is approx. 4000.00 (or so she says) he is unsure. all monies paid were while they lived together and were "together". what is the statute of limitations. is it likely that this could go to trial.

thanks for your help! :confused:
Well, anyone can sue someone else for anything provided they can find a lawyer that will take the case. Will she win? It's hard to say because my crystal ball is in the shop, but she will have to prove in court that the funds in the account were hers and also that she didn't authorize your husband to take the funds. It will be very difficult for her to prove because it was a joint account, and therefore the funds in it belonged to both of them.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

I'm not sure what SOL you are asking about, but the SOL for debt in the state of PA is four years. I hope that helps.

fedup714

thanks that makes me feel better especially since she knowingly wrote out the checks from the joint account. they are all in her handwritting (we have the carbons) :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">