• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid Debt? Apparently not!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cstewart

What is the name of your state? OREGON

I recently viewed my credit report after getting pre-approved for a home mortgage. On the report is a debt that I thought I paid off through a consumer credit counseling service. What really concerns me is that the amount owed is three times as much as the original amount.

I have contacted both the credit counseling service and the creditor/collections department several times searching for an explanation for this. Apparently, the money sent to the creditor by the counseling service wasn't covering the minimum about due, so the balance just ballooned.

My problem is that since joining the credit counseling service, I had never received any communication from the creditor concerning this account for nearly seven years! No mail, no phone calls, nothing. This is a huge red flag on my credit report. I'm paying high interest on a car loan because of this. I think I have a right to feel this is somewhat unfair.

My latest phone call to this creditor ended with the person on the other end telling me that they don't have to send statements to me. Is this true? Do I have any recourse? I'm going to file a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, but I don't know if that will do anything. Are creditors required to send statements to clients while in a debt consolidation program? If so, do I have a chance of getting all those years of late fees, interest, etc. erased?

Thank you.

Christopher Stewart
Portland, Oregon

bigun

Your post is confusimg. When did you last pay the orginal creditor? When did you last pay the counseling service.

R

Rainaraines

Creditors are not required to send statements, especially if your account is charged-off, which it sounds like your account is. Also, creditors are not required to accept CCCS arrangements, and you should always follow up with them to make sure that the arrangements are acceptable.

JETX

Yep. Sounds to me like the writer FAILED in handling this issue properly, or at least failed in requesing and GETTING information from the CCCS!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">