• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid Debt Collector

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gtzdad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I paid an account off that was in collections on February 13th. It was a settlement agreement and in that agreement I was told that I could pay 215.00 on a balance of 800.00 and the account would be closed.

I paid the money, and called back today because there was supposed to be a receipt mailed out for me to receive it by today and found out that they are saying I still show a balance on the account. of 700 some odd dollars. They told me that they were sorry for me being misinformed by the agent I spoke with, but I still needed to pay off the rest of the account balance.

Clearly I am upset because I was lied to. I have the conversation recorded and the agent CLEARLY says that if I were to pay 215.58 the account would be settled and closed.

They offered to reimburse me my money, but I told them no, they needed to make good on their word and it's not my fault that their employee gave me, according to them, bad information.

What can I do, if anything, to make them stick to their word?

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I paid an account off that was in collections on February 13th. It was a settlement agreement and in that agreement I was told that I could pay 215.00 on a balance of 800.00 and the account would be closed.

I paid the money, and called back today because there was supposed to be a receipt mailed out for me to receive it by today and found out that they are saying I still show a balance on the account. of 700 some odd dollars. They told me that they were sorry for me being misinformed by the agent I spoke with, but I still needed to pay off the rest of the account balance.

Clearly I am upset because I was lied to. I have the conversation recorded and the agent CLEARLY says that if I were to pay 215.58 the account would be settled and closed.

They offered to reimburse me my money, but I told them no, they needed to make good on their word and it's not my fault that their employee gave me, according to them, bad information.

What can I do, if anything, to make them stick to their word?
Did you get the settlement offer in writing? If not - it didn't happen. An employee made a mistake, which they attempted to fix by offering to send your payment back. You refused.

You aren't going to be able to force them to honor an agreement the representative didn't have the authority to make. Especially after they offered to return the payment.

DC

gtzdad

Thanks debtcollector, I was thinking along those lines but it just burned me alive because I did this in order to obtain a position in Fed. Law Enforcement and they gave me until today to get it all squared away.

Either way, thank you for your reply!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">