• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid off student loan 10 yrs ago - new collection letter - ruin home buying?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wenjotwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I paid off my student loan ten years ago. Two days ago I received a letter from the U.S. Department of Education stating that this letter intends to collect by offset any payments due me (like tax returns).

I have searched extensively and cannot find my proof that it was paid off. I know I saved it, but I have moved twice in that time period and gotten divorced. In that time period I’ve had belongings (including my paperwork) in storage and in my ex’s basement. It’s not something I would have ever thrown out.

I have 15 days to dispute but the requirements for proof are pretty stringent and I have none. One required piece would be a canceled check but my bank only provides copies going back 7 years.

That is the background. The letter says I owe $25.24. Yes, that is practically nothing and I have no problem paying it to make it go away, especially since I have no proof otherwise.

But, the single most important question I have is this:

My student loan no longer appears on any of my credit reports. If I pay this, will it reappear on my credit report?

I am desperate to know the answer because I have been pre-approved for a mortgage and am actively looking at houses. If I make an offer on a house, my credit will be pulled again just prior to closing. Will this show up on my report and will it make a difference to my getting a mortgage if it is on there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">