• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Painted Apartment - Never used primer - refusing to repaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am TRYING to find another way to mitigate the problem which is why i'm on this forum. What else am I supposed to put in the closet? Other non-clothing items have been damaged by the paint. Just have an empty closet?
Well, I think it's safe to say at this point that current management is not going to fix the problem. The only reason to keep complaining is so that you can show after move out that you didn't cause the problem. Granted, given how long you've lived there, based on standard wear and tear they'll have to repaint anyhow.

Cover your clothing before hanging it.
Get a friction bar and a plastic curtain (like a shower curtain) and hang it on the inside of the closet.

I'm sorry that you can't figure this out...it's not rocket science...even a useless idiot like me can come up with solutions.
Or OP could staple fabric to the wall of the closet, remove and fill holes when moving out. (Staples are usually easy to remove with minimal damage. NO DUCT TAPE.)

OP could, in addition to the friction bar at the back, use friction bars on the sides OR use a skirt/clothes hanger on each side to hang a protective curtain. (Since indeed, we don't know the layout, it is unknown whether on the sides the doorway has enough of a border to use a friction rod.)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How in the world can a paint chip ruin a jacket? Or anything else for that matter.
I suppose it would depend on the material.

Maybe the have things with delicate materials and the chips get caught in it, tears?

The only time I've personally encountered a similar a problem was visiting Eastern Europe. The paint favored in old communist era apartments was this translucent stuff with sparkles, and I'd end up with color transfer on my coat/jacket, but it'd mostly come off with a dusting and lint brush.

FarmerJ

even a giant card board box just laying in place behind the clothing that was mentioned would block particulate from getting on clothes. SO OP just so you are clear on this to some larger property management companies your 6 year residence there means nothing to them because they may well see all tenants as someone who can just be easily replaced and give them the chance to raise rents up closer to local market rates . Your staying that long means more to the non corporate LLs , your LLs who may only have one to just a few units , do your best to document the problem with pictures and written letters sent via confirmed mail delivery or even certificate of mailing keeping a copy for your own records SO that way in case you find your self in the spot where they claim the problem is your fault you can offer to a court your letters and postal receipts and let them explain to a judge why your deposit was dinged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">