• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parent as household employee, W2?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ae5880

Hi,
My mother works for me as a babysitter; I'm issuing her a W2 so that she can show some income and reconcile her PTC. I looked into the whole employee vs contractor thing and she is really an employee. The W2 shows no tax withheld (my understanding is that her wages are not subject to social security or federal unemployment taxes). My question is: what, if anything, do I report under state and local wages? I have a federal EIN but no state EIN; we're in Michigan. Her earnings for 2018 were $4,500.

thanks in advance!

LdiJ

Hi,
My mother works for me as a babysitter; I'm issuing her a W2 so that she can show some income and reconcile her PTC. I looked into the whole employee vs contractor thing and she is really an employee. The W2 shows no tax withheld (my understanding is that her wages are not subject to social security or federal unemployment taxes). My question is: what, if anything, do I report under state and local wages? I have a federal EIN but no state EIN; we're in Michigan. Her earnings for 2018 were $4,500.

thanks in advance!
You are wrong about her wages not being subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes...they are. Please see Schedule H and the Schedule H instructions at irs.gov

ae5880

You are wrong about her wages not being subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes...they are. Please see Schedule H and the Schedule H instructions at irs.gov
well, I feel pretty good about that part, as per IRS:

"Don't withhold or pay social security and Medicare taxes from wages you pay to:
  1. Your spouse
  2. Your child who is under age 21
  3. Your parent, unless an exception is met"
source: Employment Taxes for Household Employees

same document, under Federal Unemployment Tax Act:

"However, don't count wages paid to your spouse, your child who is under the age of 21, or your parent. "

and finally:
"If you pay wages subject to FICA tax, FUTA tax, or if you withhold federal income tax from your employee's wages, you'll need to file a Form 1040, Schedule H.pdf, Household Employment Taxes. ", same document.

LdiJ

well, I feel pretty good about that part, as per IRS:

"Don't withhold or pay social security and Medicare taxes from wages you pay to:
  1. Your spouse
  2. Your child who is under age 21
  3. Your parent, unless an exception is met"
source: Employment Taxes for Household Employees

same document, under Federal Unemployment Tax Act:

"However, don't count wages paid to your spouse, your child who is under the age of 21, or your parent. "

and finally:
"If you pay wages subject to FICA tax, FUTA tax, or if you withhold federal income tax from your employee's wages, you'll need to file a Form 1040, Schedule H.pdf, Household Employment Taxes. ", same document.
Your parent meets the exception. Your parent is providing daycare for your child and that meets the exception. Read the instructions for Schedule H line A.

ae5880

Your parent meets the exception. Your parent is providing daycare for your child and that meets the exception. Read the instructions for Schedule H line A.
Is this the exception you're referring to? If it is, and if I am reading the double negatives correctly, the exception does not apply (the child has no physical or mental condition and I am not divorced), and thus I don't have to count her cash wages towards the $2,100.

Exception for parents.
Include the cash wages you paid
your parent for work in or around your home if both (1) and (2)
below apply.
Your child (including an adopted child or stepchild) who
lived with you was under age 18 or had a physical or mental
condition that required the personal care of an adult for at least
4 continuous weeks during the calendar quarter in which serv-
ices were performed. A calendar quarter is January through
March, April through June, July through September, or Octo-
ber through December.
You were divorced and not remarried, a widow or wid-
ower, or married to and living with a person whose physical or
mental condition prevented him or her from caring for the child
for at least 4 continuous weeks during the calendar quarter in
which services were performed.

LdiJ

Is this the exception you're referring to? If it is, and if I am reading the double negatives correctly, the exception does not apply (the child has no physical or mental condition and I am not divorced), and thus I don't have to count her cash wages towards the $2,100.

Exception for parents.
Include the cash wages you paid
your parent for work in or around your home if both (1) and (2)
below apply.
Your child (including an adopted child or stepchild) who
lived with you was under age 18 or had a physical or mental
condition that required the personal care of an adult for at least
4 continuous weeks during the calendar quarter in which serv-
ices were performed. A calendar quarter is January through
March, April through June, July through September, or Octo-
ber through December.
You were divorced and not remarried, a widow or wid-
ower, or married to and living with a person whose physical or
mental condition prevented him or her from caring for the child
for at least 4 continuous weeks during the calendar quarter in
which services were performed.
A small child both physically and mentally requires the care of an adult. I know that the wording may make it appear differently, but the exception does apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">