• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parent refusing to sign eldercare forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oldboomerbroad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York My alcoholic father who is becoming hospitalized for pneumonia and debility is refusing to sign any paperwork that will allow my sister and I to help manage his healthcare and finances....He has a wife who is unable to assist in any way due to mental health issues....we send him to the hospital and he signs out getting a family friend to drive him home....he is unable to get into the house or get up from the floor and lays for days in a soiled diaper....nobody in his current health care practice will talk to us and the ER just puts him in a wheel chair and sends him home....the police have been made aware...we need someway to get him fully evaluated and someone to pay attention to us trying to help......any ideas? have never posted before....I guess I just keep checking back to this site?? thanks

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York My alcoholic father who is becoming hospitalized for pneumonia and debility is refusing to sign any paperwork that will allow my sister and I to help manage his healthcare and finances....He has a wife who is unable to assist in any way due to mental health issues....we send him to the hospital and he signs out getting a family friend to drive him home....he is unable to get into the house or get up from the floor and lays for days in a soiled diaper....nobody in his current health care practice will talk to us and the ER just puts him in a wheel chair and sends him home....the police have been made aware...we need someway to get him fully evaluated and someone to pay attention to us trying to help......any ideas? have never posted before....I guess I just keep checking back to this site?? thanks
You can consider filing a petition for guardianship with the court in the county where your father resides.

I suggest you speak to an elder law attorney in your area to discuss your father and what you see as his inability to care for himself.

You can also check out Article 81 of the New York State Mental Hygiene Law: http://www.nycourts.gov/ip/gfs/Article_81_Law_2008.pdf

Good luck.

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
You can also check out this site for resources and referrals to community agencies: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dfta/html/services/services.shtml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">