• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental rights question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRevak

I am seriously committed to the well being of my daughter. The problem is her biological father isnt! And clearly doesnt have any desire to be. He wants to get married and move. What a terrible place we live in where he can abandon his daughter completely and still have "rights". That also goes for the mothers who abandon their children, as i know that fathers arent the only ones who leave. If you dont want to take care of your children, then you shouldnt be allowed to have "rights" over them.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am seriously committed to the well being of my daughter.
But you were not seriously committed to being married to the father.

The problem is her biological father isnt!
Oh well. But the two of you were NOT committed to each other.
And clearly doesnt have any desire to be.
Your opinion.

He wants to get married and move. What a terrible place we live in where he can abandon his daughter completely and still have "rights".
It is called the United States of America. Sorry you think it is so horrible. There are other countries out there that would agree with you. Of course in those countries you would also have been stoned for sleeping around with someone other than your legal spouse -- meaning you would be dead now.

That also goes for the mothers who abandon their children, as i know that fathers arent the only ones who leave. If you dont want to take care of your children, then you shouldnt be allowed to have "rights" over them.
Some would say you shouldn't have children without benefit of marriage and being in a committed relationship. Others would say you should never be allowed to get a divorce. So.... think about it.

Isis1

I am seriously committed to the well being of my daughter. The problem is her biological father isnt! And clearly doesnt have any desire to be. He wants to get married and move. What a terrible place we live in where he can abandon his daughter completely and still have "rights". That also goes for the mothers who abandon their children, as i know that fathers arent the only ones who leave. If you dont want to take care of your children, then you shouldnt be allowed to have "rights" over them.
it's called DUE PROCESS!! it's to prevent parents from willy nilly overstepping the other parent's rights. just because you have someone else's p in your knickers, doesn't mean you can stop all over dad's without DUE PROCESS!!

RRevak

Oh god, i'm so over people talking to me about a lack of commitment just because i chose to not marry my daughters father. Two people can be just as committed if not more committed than most people's marriages these days. Gee i guess nobody is aware of the staggering divorce rate. In my case i'm extremely glad i didnt marry him. Doesnt anyone read the other post's here! If i had married him, and he flaked out, not only would i be faced with the EXACT SAME situation but i would also be faced with the expenses AND difficulties of a divorce etc. Just being married doesnt mean that a situation wont ever go bad and someone wont do the wrong thing. Marriage has become a joke these days and thank god i didnt fall into the same trap way too many others fall into. Yes i have my daughter and i'm more than thankful that i made the decision to keep her. She is the light of my life. But guess what guys, not all endings are happy and not all people end up being who we think they are....MARRIAGE IS NOT A FIX-ALL! Again, i'm reading about many MARRIED people in this forum who are in the SAME SITUATION I AM!

cyjeff

Feel better?

Good.

Now then, you were asking about what it would take for your significant other to become the adoptive father of your child.

A long and involved rant about the current state of marriage in this country doesn't change the fact that the court wants children in a stable home. Married couples do tend to be more stable than unmarried ones.

Like it or not... that is what the court will look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">