• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parenting Time Credit - Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idealisticgal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am the custodial parent of two teenage children. My ex was granted standard visitation rights based on Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines. He receives the maximum parenting time credit based on the expected number of overnight visits, which in our case amounts to $55 a week.

My ex does not exercise his full parenting rights and has only had one overnight visit in November of 2010. He lives nearby, and I have always let him see the kids whenever he wants. The kids have been content with this arrangement and have no desire to spend the night at his house anyway.

I am thinking about seeking a child support modification because it is really unfair that I bear the day-to-day costs and responsibilities of the kids, while he receives a credit for something he does not do. My fear is that he would suddenly decide to start having the overnights just to keep the credit.

Has anyone had their child support increased because the non-custodial parent does not have overnight visits? Does the fact that this has gone on for over two years and the kids will soon be going off to college anyway help my case?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am the custodial parent of two teenage children. My ex was granted standard visitation rights based on Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines. He receives the maximum parenting time credit based on the expected number of overnight visits, which in our case amounts to $55 a week.

My ex does not exercise his full parenting rights and has only had one overnight visit in November of 2010. He lives nearby, and I have always let him see the kids whenever he wants. The kids have been content with this arrangement and have no desire to spend the night at his house anyway.

I am thinking about seeking a child support modification because it is really unfair that I bear the day-to-day costs and responsibilities of the kids, while he receives a credit for something he does not do. My fear is that he would suddenly decide to start having the overnights just to keep the credit.

Has anyone had their child support increased because the non-custodial parent does not have overnight visits? Does the fact that this has gone on for over two years and the kids will soon be going off to college anyway help my case?
<shaking head>
It's all about the money.

Your "fear" is that he might see the kids more? Really?

CSO286

You know, a lot of men have turned into very responsible and involved fathers because they were "forced" by court orders to provide financial support for their children. Some see it as "If I have to pay support, I'm going to know what's going on in their lives" kind of thing.

Fo you to "fear" that Dad would become and involved parent over a financial issue shows a lack of priorities on your part. If a "threat" of a possible increase suddenly helps Dad turn his view around, then Yay! Because you know who ultimately benefits in that situation, right? The kids do--since they have the support and involvement of both of their parents.

Last edited:

single317dad

You'll need documentation of the parenting time he has missed, his income, your income, and insurance and daycare expenses. Indiana's child support is determined on a simple formula, which considers each parent's income, overnight parenting time, who provides insurance, daycare expenses, and other court orders for support/alimony that may be in effect. Once you have all your information, you can actually use the calculator on the state website to determine what the proper amount of support is in your case. When you go to court for a modification, odds are very high that the only time period considered will be the last 365 days before the hearing date. Good luck.

Antigone*

Not very idealistic of you, seems more materialistic to me.:rolleyes:

CSO286

You'll need documentation of the parenting time he has missed, his income, your income, and insurance and daycare expenses. Indiana's child support is determined on a simple formula, which considers each parent's income, overnight parenting time, who provides insurance, daycare expenses, and other court orders for support/alimony that may be in effect. Once you have all your information, you can actually use the calculator on the state website to determine what the proper amount of support is in your case. When you go to court for a modification, odds are very high that the only time period considered will be the last 365 days before the hearing date. Good luck.
And if she files and Dad begins to exercise every overnight he's entitled to, it's likely the judge will continue allowing the credit.

idealisticgal

I'm sorry to have given the impression I'm only out for money. I left out a lot of details such as my ex being an alcoholic and living a lifestyle my kids want no part of.

He lives 2 miles away and I have never prevented him from seeing the kids when he wants to. He knows better than to see the kids if he's drinking, but when he's at home he parties it up most weekends so the kids wouldn't want to go even if he came and took them for overnight visits.

The kids are 15 and 16 and are content with the way things are. But why should he get the credit when he doesn't bear any costs of providing shelter or living expenses of keeping them at his house?

I only receive $66 a week as it is, but if its in my kids best interest for him to keep the credit, then so be it. Simply looking for advice, not judgement...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">