• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents forced me to sign a contract they made up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tott987

hold up.... i did not choose to sign this stupid piece of paper i told my parents it was blackmale. my mother screamed at me to sign and if i didnt she was going to kick me out of the house************** so where was my choice there??

the contract states that they took a loan out for me and i will pay them the 300 a month until it is paid off. thats basically it.....

tranquility

hold up.... i did not choose to sign this stupid piece of paper i told my parents it was blackmale. my mother screamed at me to sign and if i didnt she was going to kick me out of the house************** so where was my choice there??
The legal defense you're looking for is called duress. Since you are over 18 and they can kick you out at will anyway, I'd say there is no duress. Your choice was to move out.

Silverplum

the contract states that they took a loan out for me and i will pay them the 300 a month until it is paid off. thats basically it.....
Your choice was to:
A.) Sign
or
B.) Not sign

Tott987

all righty then.

so pretty much a freakin crazzzzzy person can write a paper up and say sign this else something will happen and it can count in court. nice. what a messed up world.

does it even matter if there arnt anymore original copies. just a photo copy??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
all righty then.

so pretty much a freakin crazzzzzy person can write a paper up and say sign this else something will happen and it can count in court. nice. what a messed up world.

does it even matter if there arnt anymore original copies. just a photo copy??

You are amazing.
You willingly signed a document agreeing to repay your mother for a debt of your that she paid. It's not the world that's messed up, it's the people in it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tott987

i have no problem paying for my car i was paying for my car with my own freakin loan. she went behind my back and paid it off with her stupid loan which is now makin me pay double what i was for my car. thats f*d up. hello. i will pay her back but im not payin her the other half it will cost me bc shes an idiot and went and got a loan with a much higher interest rate......

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
See, the problem with that is that you already AGREED to pay her back!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tell you what - why don't you take out another loan using the car as security, then pay your mom in full and pay on the new loan. I would also suggest that you find your own place to live where you can get your mail without mommy checking up on you.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
i have no problem paying for my car i was paying for my car with my own freakin loan. she went behind my back and paid it off with her stupid loan which is now makin me pay double what i was for my car. thats f*d up. hello. i will pay her back but im not payin her the other half it will cost me bc shes an idiot and went and got a loan with a much higher interest rate......
And the proper response to someone who goes behind your back, takes out a loan that you're not responsible for, gets your account information, and pays off your car is "Wow! Thanks Mom!" You, however, agreed in writing to pay her back.

Your mother is controlling your life with your permission.

If the parents took out a loan at a higher interest rate to replace a better loan, and accepted full responsibility for the loan, THEN made her sign a contract pawning it off on her after the fact, I'd say she has a chance at proving the contract unconscionable.

I'm guessing though, that the new loan is actually much better, but probably has a 3 year versus a 5 year payback or similar circumstance.

But hey, listen.. I'm a parent AND not so old that don't remember what it's like to be 21. You've tasted autonomy for a couple years now so being back under the 'rents thumb all kinds of sucks I realize. From what you've written though, your parents went out on a limb to pay for this car, and legally they are on the hook for it. They don't appear to want to profit from you in any way, and simply want you to show that you take the situation seriously. My experience tells me that your parents never had any intention of this contract seeing the light of court, it is primarily symbolic in nature, and a formal way to make sure you're on the same page. Try not to blow it out of proportion. If you feel the increased amount per month is TRULY a hardship, try and compromise with them to pay it back over the longer period and convince them that the original payment is what you knowingly signed on for. They may or may not work with you on that, but I'm guessing if you had a hard month somewhere down the line they wouldn't force a court issue on you to let a payment slide to the back end or something. Meet them halfway and make a genuine effort and this is gonna work out fine.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">