• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking at apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

At my apartment there are marked spots for each tenant (two for 4 bdr apts). If there is someone in the spot during daytime the office will come by and issue a ticket. However, at night (after 5pm) there's nobody in the office and that's when people park in my spot. I wouldn't mind if there was enough guest spots but there's not so I end up parking a block away when I have a designated spot that I should be able to use.

I have left voicemails at the office without any effect. Is there any recourse? For example, could they be towed at owner's expense? Just looking for ideas.

John_DFW

You could photograph the violation including license plate and include it in your written notification to the office. Inquire about who to contact for after hours issues.

Expect that it is guests and not tenants and there is little the complex can do.

They do have no parking/tow zone signs at some parts of the complex so I assume the have towing authority (including guests). I'm not trying to be obnoxious but it's just getting a little annoying. Even if I do complain they can't talk to the owner of the vehicle because they're always gone before the rental office opens. Funny how that works ;)

But yeah, I guess the written complaint seems like my best option now. And I suppose if the guest can ever be tied back to a resident the landlord could get on them... who knows?

applecruncher

Stop calling and leaving voice mails. Send WRITTEN complaint, certified return receipt. Document every instance and include car description and license plate number.

I wouldn't mind if there was enough guest spots but there's not so I end up parking a block away when I have a designated spot that I should be able to use.
Well, you SHOULD mind. You are paying for a parking space that you're not allowed to use.

Last edited:

dmcc10880

How does your lease address parking spaces?

If the parking space is numbered and specifically attached to your apartment in the lease, then you should have the right to have the vehicle towed.

You're paying for that parking space. It would almost be like coming home and someone's sitting in your living room watching tv.

If the no parking signs include that towing is done at the owner's expense? If so, you should be covered there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">