• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbrown200047501

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My friend gave Part-custody of her then 2yo daughter to her mother(childs grandmother) the order states that the part-custody is while the mother attends college due to the childs extensive medical conditions which she since has outgrown(delays due to being a preemie).
The childs mother no longer attends college and would like to move on her own,but the grandmother says if the childs mother moves out that she cannot take her child as she has part custody.
This childs mother is 19.Can the grandmother legally keep the grandchild eventhough the order says "while the mother ***** ******* attends college"?
Can the police force this mother to leave her child there?

The court order is over a yr old and the mother voluntarily signed as the papers said it was just while she attended college.

TIA
Stacey

king sol

A new custody order need to be granted modifing the conditions you mentioned.

A police officer can refuse to let the child go if he determines that the mother is failing to follow a court order for visitation. However, most officers do not get involved and may not even look at a court order. They may rather opt to write a report and tell you to handle the matter through the court system.

sbrown200047501

Thanks,This order she was told was only for her daughter to receive medical treatment while she was at college 30 miles away 4hours a day 4 days a week.It says it is for medical treatment while the mother is at college.THat is the reason I didnt understand how the grandmother could keep her.The mother has never moved out of the home and the childs father did not sign but also was not on the birth cert. :( The top says Partial-Custody which i had never heard of.

Thanks Again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">