• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmb2cool

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I would like to know if the US embassy holds on to the passport during background check. I will be going back to India and apply for the H1B stamp (current one expired- I797 valid till 2011).

I also need to travel to France during my stay in India. So if the US embassy puts me on a background check will they hold on to my passport for whatever amount of time they require or will I get my passport back while they do the checks.

Thanks

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I would like to know if the US embassy holds on to the passport during background check. I will be going back to India and apply for the H1B stamp (current one expired- I797 valid till 2011).

I also need to travel to France during my stay in India. So if the US embassy puts me on a background check will they hold on to my passport for whatever amount of time they require or will I get my passport back while they do the checks.

Thanks
It doesn't matter to you if they keep it or not. If you let them start the security checks and you travel, they will have to re-run the checks anyway.
You might consider going to France before your visa appointment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">